Bonnet badge enamel restoration/repair

PostPost by: jono » Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:25 am

My bonnet badge keep losing lumps of enamel and I am now at the stage where it needs a spruce up.

Does anyone know of a firm who will do repairs or re-enamelling or have any ideas for 'home' repairs.

cheers

Jon
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:59 am

Don't know what badge you have but I believe the early ones were paint rather than enamel.

Have heard a report that re-enameling wasn't too successful as the colours didn't look right afterwards. Perhaps others may know better?

Good luck with it
Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jono » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:59 am

This is the glass enamel type circa 1970
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Grizzly » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:04 am

I have been in the same situation recently, my car came with its original nose badge in perfect condition (1970 elan s4) but after i fitted it (taking allot of care not to over-tighten) i noticed a day or so later a crack had appeared with a large loose bit of enamel. So i removed the badge and put it back into storage then bought a reproduction that was very similar for ?30

Now looking on i think the two holes in the body where tight as my badge had cracked right over the left hand stud, so maybe it had flexed? does seem a little odd on mine as that badge came from those holes so don't know why it had become a problem (maybe filled in slightly with paint??)
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Type28 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:52 am

These folks will be able to sort out your enamelled badges- I have seen their work on Lotus badges and it?s very good.

http://www.badgecraft.co.uk/
Type28
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:21 pm

They are superb, but Jon, you may want to ask about the price first! A mate had three done for his Lotus Cortina, and I think they were close to ?100 each. Mind you, a mint 2nd hand one will cost you that much as well, but at least you don't need three!

Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:03 pm

If you go for a replacement badge I can recommend the ones sold by Sue Miller, the colour of the enamels is very close to the originals. Quite a few of the lower priced badges that can be obtained have the wrong yellow colour which is deeper than the quite washed out primrose yellow of the originals. I think Sue's badges sell for around ?65 which is lower than Matty's or SJ Sportscars who also do a good badge (at a higher price)

original badges with correct font & colour
original bonnet badges.jpg and

cheap replacement badge for later cars with incorrect font ( for our cars) and colour
wrong font and colour.jpg and
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: