Bonnet Catches

PostPost by: DJThom » Sat Jul 21, 2007 2:29 am

So I put the bonnet catches on the firewall and the pull cables in. Double nuts and Loctite to make sure they won't come loose.

As I put the bonnet on, I realized there should be some type of bracket on the underside of the bonnet itself that engages the catch.

I have holes for these brackets, but no brackets.

Could someone be kind enough to post a picture of this area? I don't mean to be picky, but if someone in Europe could post it I could check it while eating breakfast tomorrow :D
'66 Lotus Elan S2 Roadster RHD
DJThom
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: DJThom » Sat Jul 21, 2007 2:47 am

If my explanation is poor, it's 26B703 in the parts catalogue, but it's too small for me to see!
DJThom
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: SADLOTUS » Sat Jul 21, 2007 6:47 am

Hi DJ Thom, what's for brekky?

Being a cheapskate and too impatient to wait for parts to be posted, I made my own from stainless.

I started to copy the tophat shape and position of the bracket from the old bonnet to the new, but the cutouts were different, so I started from scratch and tried to make a more robust version, that's why there are several holes(!)... but found that adjustment was easier with a smaller final version.

I ended up sitting in the engine bay, without the engine but with a pair of pliers ... a little bend here and a little bend there. I now have a satisfying shutting action. If I could put up with the cable trawling across the cam cover I'd have a nice opening action too, but I cant, so it's attached to the bulkhead and the bonnet needs a tap to open.

This is probably of no use to you at all as I've just noticed yours is an S2.

I'll add my usual caveat that says this may or may not be original but it works for me. Have a nice time.
Attachments
DSC03309.JPG and
DSC03307.JPG and
SADLOTUS
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:46 am

here is an other shot, it's my Sprint's catch but as far as I am aware they are the same as S2
Attachments
bonnet catch.JPG and
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nebogipfel » Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:13 am

SADLOTUS wrote:........If I could put up with the cable trawling across the cam cover I'd have a nice opening action too, but I cant, so it's attached to the bulkhead and the bonnet needs a tap to open........

I made a stand off bracket to hold the cable off the cam cover. I think it's preferable to have a gentle curve in the cable for a smooth action :)

DJ, I presume on a S2 you have two cables and two release pulls - so this point doesn't apply anyway.
John

No longer active on here, I value my privacy.
nebogipfel
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:52 am

nebogipfel wrote:[quote="
I made a stand off bracket to hold the cable off the cam cover. I think it's preferable to have a gentle curve in the cable for a smooth action :)

lotus did fit a cable bracket on the Sprint although it may have been on other cars?
Attachments
CABLE BRACKET.JPG and
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RotoFlexible » Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:55 am

On my S2, one side has a strip of fiberglass about an inch wide bonded into place across the gap (bonding loose at one end, I now notice). That strip is wrapped with thin aluminum sheet. On the other side, a similar strip of something is held in by two sheet metal screws that are in the sides of the gap. Don't know which side is original. The release cables are behind the dash on the S2, not in the engine bay. Should be able to get a photo later today if it is of interest.
Andrew Bodge
'66 Elan S2 26/4869
I love the sound of a torque wrench in the morning. Sounds like... progress.
RotoFlexible
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Sat Jul 21, 2007 11:32 am

The fiberglass bridge between is wrapped with a small piece of metal as shown in the photos of the S2 bonnet.
Attachments
P7210004.jpg and
P7210001.jpg and
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bcmc33 » Sat Jul 21, 2007 11:51 am

From what I can remember, my old S2 was the same as my Sprint. See picture.
But when I look at the Brian Buckland manual it appears I am wrong as the S1 & S2 bonnets did not have metal inserts ? simply fibreglass.
S3 version was the same but with a strip of stainless steel wrapped around the fibreglass.
S4 onwards were as per the picture.
Clearly later cars with metal inserts were to overcome wear problems.

But as you can see from other pictures, it is not beyond you simulating a latch. If you want originality ? then you will have to fibreglass across the gap and then cut-out the aperture.

Brian Clarke
(1972 Sprint)
bcmc33
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bcmc33 » Sat Jul 21, 2007 11:57 am

The picture did not attach to my original message.

Gary,

Perhaps Brian Buckland was wrong!!!

Brian Clarke
(1972 Sprint)
Attachments
Bonnet Latch.jpg and
bcmc33
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:06 pm

I don't have the Buckland book, All of the S2, and S3 bonnets that I have seen were wrapped with metal. The S4 was the bridge piece of metal that was rivited on like the Photo that Brian posted (yellow bonnet).
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: DJThom » Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:35 pm

Thanks everyone. I'll check my box of "extra parts" and if that fials, make something up. As is, the latches will not hold onto the fiberglass in the correct position. Off to the garage...;)
DJThom
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Bill » Sun Jul 22, 2007 1:02 am

Hey all

The S1 and S2 bonnet latch was in fibreglass with a piece of ally wrapped around it as per the photos.

Simple!!!

But it needs a tad of grease to work right.

Uncle Bill - 26/0538, 26/48 somethin

Keep your sticks on the ice
Bill
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: DJThom » Sun Jul 22, 2007 6:05 pm

Well, did I ever catch a break. After looking at the various posts above, I sorted through my extra parts bin. It was there I found two hood latches, tried them on, and I'm good to go.

Thanks everyone
DJThom
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: SADLOTUS » Sun Jul 22, 2007 6:54 pm

But what did you have for beakfast!!?
SADLOTUS
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Next

Total Online: