Bonnet insulation

PostPost by: shaun » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:20 pm

Having run the engine up to temperature to check operation of rad fan , I was shocked by the temperature of the closed bonnet.Looking through different forums some plus 2s had insulating felt some didn't so I went with this ,not original but a lot lighter and if it protects the paint work and it's good enough for Tvr it's good enough for me
Attachments
image.jpeg and
image.jpeg and
shaun
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:27 pm

Shaun
Tell us more...

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: The Veg » Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:56 pm

Looks very similar to what I'm using throughout car. What I'm using is 3/16" closed-cell foam with aluminium on both sides.

(Edited for spelling...stoopid phone!)
Last edited by The Veg on Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1970 Elan Plus 2 (not S) 50/2036
2012 BMW R1200GS
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JJDraper » Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:44 am

From experience with a Chimera, I know that the TVR blanket has a tendency to drop off/droop onto the engine when it gets very hot. This may have been fixed in later TVRs with a different adhesive formulation.Good enough for TVR is not such a recommendation! The layer on my +2 was also a bit of a problem, so I ended up taking it off completely many years ago. No adverse effects that I have noticed - what is its purpose anyway? To protect the paint/fibreglass? Like I said, no adverse effects noticed on the paintwork..

Jeremy
PS I did install a sheet of Zircoflex on the exterior of the footwell tunnel close to where the exhaust manifold passes, as the heat here can cause problems.
JJDraper
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:51 am

I used Hardura felt backed when I replaced my +2 bonnet. I made sure to use a quality brand of impact adhesive in a tin for brushing on rather than an aerosol can. http://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/p-1198-ha ... black.aspx
I have done over 2000 miles this summer with no sagging problems. This stuff is a pretty close match to the original felt supplied by the factory in looks and thickness.

The bonnet on a +2 is quite a large area and I'm convinced the felt significantly reduces noise, vibration and annoying resonance from the engine. Although it adds around 2kg to the weight this has the advantage that you can shut the bonnet by dropping it from around 400mm, no need to push down one side then the other to overcome the catches.

My S4 has reflective foil type heat shielding very similar to yours Shaun, it has done a very good job of protecting the paint on the bonnet for the last 5 years. Spyder prefer to use this type on all their conversions and restorations, so nothing wrong with going this route.
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: M.J.S » Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:14 pm

I've no connection to any company and have bought from Woolies in the past and received good service, but a trimmer/restorer friend of mine does say that their products are overpriced, and he recommends Martrim.co.uk for the same products but cheaper. For example, basketweave vinyl at Wollies is ?32.50 metre whilst at Martrim it's ?18.00 metre. They list a couple of types of self adhesive heat shield, but I've never used it.

http://www.martrim.co.uk/catalogue/heat ... ation.html
ZARDE the 130/5.
M.J.S
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Grizzly » Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:37 pm

The problem i had was finding a Insulation pad big enough, they seem to always be sold in 1m squares. I ended up buying DYNAMAT Hoodliner but it's a bit thick.

Shaun, if you don't mind me asking where did you get your Insulation?
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: shaun » Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:56 pm

Got mine from camthorne engineering supplies in Stoke on Trent ,they cut me a piece 1100x1100 charged just 20 quid
shaun
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Grizzly » Sat Aug 20, 2016 6:46 pm

I work nr Cheddleton so just up the road (didn't know it was even there), i'll drop in some time and get some.

Thanks.
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:36 pm

Both Gordon and I did the purchase at Tatton,1m x 1.2m for ?16, will let you know how we get on....
Remove the bonnet
dsc01675.jpg and

Remove the felt
dsc01676.jpg and

Wire cup brush remove residue
dsc01677.jpg and

Belt sander to flatten
dsc01678.jpg and

Vacuum and apply
dsc01679.jpg and

Weight in bonnet bulge

Edit. Cleaning up the steel-work..
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:35 pm

Ready to be fitted...

dsc01680.jpg and

john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:17 pm

Fitted and in a better light..

dsc01681.jpg and

Thanks
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mikealdren » Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:37 pm

Did +2s have insulation from new? Neither of mine (+2S and +2S 130/5) shows any sign of having felt fitted.Seems a good idea and I will certainly add some insulation for my Zetec when I get to that stage.

I was contemplating using sound deadening paint here and in the footwell, has anyone tried it?

Mike
mikealdren
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Grizzly » Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:09 pm

mikealdren wrote:Did +2s have insulation from new? Neither of mine (+2S and +2S 130/5) shows any sign of having felt fitted.Seems a good idea and I will certainly add some insulation for my Zetec when I get to that stage.

I was contemplating using sound deadening paint here and in the footwell, has anyone tried it?

Mike

Can of worms........ Some did and some didn't, they aren't on Parts lists so it will start another "I owned my car from new and it didn't have one" debate.

The original ones are made from felt and most probably fell off before making it to the factory gates or got ripped off by the owners because they go saggy and leave bits of felt all over the engine bay.
untitled.jpg and
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: