bonnet release cable

PostPost by: rdssdi » Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:47 pm

Would someone kindly post a photo of where and how the bonnet (hood) release handle / cable bracket is mounted.

A LHD version would be best.

Thanks

Bob 1969 Elan +2
rdssdi
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Bart Jan van der Ceelen » Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:23 pm

These pictures are from my 1971 elan +2S. If these are not what you are looking for exactly, please let me know and I'll try to get a better one.

Cheers, Bart Jan

http://www.home.versatel.nl/bjvdceelen/IMG_0560a.jpg
http://www.home.versatel.nl/bjvdceelen/IMG_0563a.jpg
Bart Jan van der Ceelen
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: rdssdi » Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:42 am

It appears that your car, also a LHD, is different. My ignition switch is located where the bonnet (hood) release is.

It seems that my car originally had the handle mounted on a bracket and screwed into the rear of the dash. It seems to be a flimsy set up. I am wondering if it was attached to the hand-brake brackets.

I disassembled much of the car without noes of photos. Its almost complete.

Bob
1969 Elan +2 (LHD)
rdssdi
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: carrierdave » Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:17 am

Hi Bob
My car is a 1969 built right hander and the bonnet release cable fits into the under dash trim - The bit that covers up the bottom of the dash.

As mine is RHD the cable is fitted into the LHS trim and not into the dash.

You can just see it below the LHS of the steering wheel.
Attachments
dash.JPG and
carrierdave
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: rdssdi » Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:38 pm

I will be in the shop later this morning. I will be looking for holes in the handbrake bracketry that match the mounting holes in the bonnet/hood release handle bracket. The angle of the bracket has me looking for another mounting point other than the dash.

I will report back.

Bob
rdssdi
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rdssdi » Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:28 pm

It appears that the bracket for the bonnet (hood) release cable was not attached to the pedal box / hand-brake brackets / steering column brackets. I did see a pair of holes in one bracket but they did not align with the holes in the hood release handle bracket. They are most likely unused "RHD" mounting holes for the hand brake.

If anyone has a 1969 +2 pre - "S" LHD, preferably federal model, kindly send photos detailing the hood release bracket.

Thanks

Bob
rdssdi
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: carrierdave » Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:28 am

Here are a couple of photo's I picked up from a web site. They may help you.

Here is the web address

http://www.lotuselan.info/
Attachments
IM001321.jpg and
Interior%202.jpg and
carrierdave
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: rdssdi » Sat Dec 29, 2007 1:03 pm

Thanks Dave.

It appears to be yet another bracket configuration and mounting position. Its amazing how many variations thaere are in old Lotii.

Bob
rdssdi
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nhhiker » Sun Dec 30, 2007 12:31 am

I have just fitted new cables to my 69 +2 Fed. They are in these backets under the dash. I am on a trip right now and will not be home for a week. I will take a picture of them when I get home. The dash is not fitted at this time so you will be able to see where it goes. It is not a staight shot. They made an "s".

Bill
nhhiker
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: kcrossle » Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:25 am

Could someone please post an explanation / picture / diagram of what connects to what in the cable?

The manual only instructs on adjusting. I've stared at it, a blurry picture pre-disassembly, and new parts from Matty and it doesn't make sense. It defies either the laws of physics or my understanding. Probably the latter.

The picture in the manual shows the inner cable going from the handle, through the bulkhead and into the outer cable which is positioned between the two latches. The inner cable then seems to go back through the bulkhead on the other side and is fixed there? Wouldn't that prevent it moving? I don't get it.

Thanks for any help

Keith
(feeling a bit dim)
kcrossle
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: JJDraper » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:02 am

You have just about answered the question of how to fit the bonnet release cable. The only missing and vital bit is that the end that returns back into the bulkhead has a removable screwed nipple that should be pulled up tight against the bulkhead (inside that car), then the screw tightened to grip the cable. I found this aspect of the job the most frustrating; one hand pulls the cable tight, while the other positions the nipple and the other two hands hold the nipple tight and do up the clamping screw...

Jeremy
JJDraper
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alaric » Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:54 pm

I'm just about to attempt to adjust mine. I've just run out and taken some pics - anyone remember the days when we had to use film - only a few years ago - anyway, I digress. You should find the pics inline below:

DSC00003.JPG and
Drivers side catch on rhd car

DSC00006.JPG and
Passenger side bracket on rhd car

DSC00009.JPG and
Ah so that's where my miniature molegrips got to!

The cable from the handle on the drivers side runs through the bulkhead and into the sheath. The end of the sheath is engaged in the end of a lever that operates the latch. The other end of the sheath is engaged in a similar lever which operates the other latch. As mentioned above the other end of the cable runs back through the bulkhead and is clamped - in my case I've used molegrips for the time being. When the handle is pulled, the cable is put under tension, and since the cable loops through 180 degrees and the sheath doesn't change length, both levers are pulled toward the bulkhead; the cable is not fixed to either end of the sheath, so both levers see the same force. I think that makes sense. It does appear to defy physics though.

All the best.

Sean.
alaric
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: kcrossle » Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:34 pm

Thanks Jeremy and Sean... based on Jeremy's response I was going to confess my continued thickness because I still didn't get it. "But if it's fixed on the other end then how does anything move when you tug on the handle".

Fortunately Sean has saved me the effort of confessing, discerned my mental challenge and has (I pray) given me the answer.

Diabolically Lotus solution.

Thanks

Keith
kcrossle
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: nhhiker » Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:48 pm

I will try. OK, as you pull the handle, the outer cable pulls the lever nearest to the handle and opens than side of the bonnet. As you continue to pull the handle, the cross outer housing is tighten up to the "off" latch. As the inter cable does not move, the outer cable pushes in the level on this far side and opens the bonnet on that side. Try this with the bonnet open and you can see how this works. The bonnet always open one side first and than the other opens.

I hope this helps.

Bill

50/2164
36/7502
nhhiker
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: kcrossle » Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:17 am

Thanks, again, all. I can't imagine any more information. I'll just have to try it (being that it's in the upholstery shop right now it may take a few days. Worst case, I'll drive to see Bill, with the "lid" off. Only eight hours or so :-)

The other challenge with this is that the cable (new from P Matty) does not reach the bulkhead on the passenger side. Handle is attached to the dash bracket on the driver's side - correctly I believe. 54" from handle to tip of inner cable.

See picture - is this the correct mounting? It seems right, but perhaps there is another spot?

Thanks

Keith
Attachments
IMG_0301.JPG and
kcrossle
Second Gear
Second Gear

Next

Total Online: