Bonnet release cable +2S

PostPost by: TonyJ » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:45 am

I have messed up my 'Bonnet lock' release cable and can't thread it back through :twisted: A stray piece of wire stuck inside the casing and now it's a mess :evil: despite me taping up the end - pesky tape fell off and as I was happily pulling it through with too eager speed ...........

Paul Matty don't have them in stock and when they do they wont have 'BONNET LOCK' written on the handle, SJS only sell the complete package for about ?50 (no writing on handle either) and Sue Miller is away :!:

I seem to remember a thread where someone had their cable replaced - new cable fitted to old handle, rather than buy a new handle and cable - does anyone remember this and if so where did they get it done? Searching has revealed too many items to search through!

Looking at the handle it seems that replacement of the cable maybe possible but I don't want to have a go and ruin my original handle, already ruined the cable :oops: Does anyone know how to replace the cable and can give me instructions?

Thanks in advance, Tony
TonyJ
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:24 pm

TonyJ wrote:I have messed up my 'Bonnet lock' release cable and can't thread it back through :twisted: A stray piece of wire stuck inside the casing and now it's a mess :evil: despite me taping up the end - pesky tape fell off and as I was happily pulling it through with too eager speed ...........

I can't help with locating a cable but I would have recommended soldering the end of the cable up rather than using tape. Soldering gives a very good bond between the threads with out significantly increasing the diameter of the cable end. Making it very easy to thread, used to do this as a kid of the brake/gear cables on bikes.

Unfortunately its a little late for you but might be useful comment for people coming across this later.

I think this topic may have been discussed recently and people might have soldered a new cable to the old handle/cable....
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: