Boot floor - paint/seal/gunk?

PostPost by: Iyarno » Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:35 pm

I'm refitting my boot. Shiny new underfelt and carpet. All the brackets stripped and powdercoated.

So...my question. The boot floor has been painted with a thick layer of black stuff. It's not pretty but I can see the added benefits of sealing and soundproofing etc. Does anyone else have this paint on the boot floor? Does anyone know what this thick stuff actually is, and is this an original thing to do?

My guess is that it's a bitumen or a roof sealer product. It's dried hard but flexible.

I've attached a pic where you can see it's peeling off and cracking.

It's a pain in the backside to pick off, so I think it'll be staying. Just curious.

Thanks all
Ian
Attachments
boot_floor.jpg and
What is this paint?
Iyarno
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: AHM » Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:58 pm

I had something like that.

Best left well alone and covered with oil based paint using a brush.
AHM
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: robertverhey » Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:46 am

Yep, I went with two coats of black gravitex applied with brush, pretty much sticks to anything.
robertverhey
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Iyarno » Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:22 am

Thanks guys.

It sounds like it's an original thing then. I'm going to try some roof sealer and brush it on. I assume Gravitex needs a spray gun?

Ian
Iyarno
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: AHM » Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:24 am

You can get quite a good stippled finish with a brush and you don't see it anyway.

I find gravitex too brittle.

Should be ok with engine paint - why the need for additional gunk?
AHM
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Grizzly » Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:59 pm

I've been using Hammerite Underseal (brush on), i assume that's what they used originally under the front wings etc and looks about right.

I know there are areas that need stone protection so the road wheels don't pepper with stones and damage the grp, it was also used for sound deadening in some area's so maybe why its all over the boot floor.
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Sea Ranch » Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:52 pm

Great discussion.

I'm rebuilding a 1970 Plus 2S. My car had a bitumen sealer applied to the wheel wells before the factory paint, THEN it was painted with body colour. You can clearly see the layers as I took it off. So when my car left the factory, it had body-coloured wheel wells.

And wow, is that old bitumen hard to remove!!!! I won't be re-applying it, that's for sure. But will have to put some sort of rock guard on at least all surfaces which are the back side of exterior body panels/paint, so as to prevent rocks from causing gelcoat cracking on the exterior side of panels. Then all will be painted body colour.

As for boot floor, I contemplated leaving it bare, as I love the look of the natural grp. But at the very least I will have to put vibration panels on it to deaden. So will probably end up painting it all black after sound stuff applied.

Randy
Sea Ranch
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Iyarno » Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:32 pm

Mine seems to have the same treatment inside the wheel arches too.

Crazy to think they coated the boot floor with 'flammable' bitumen right next to the fuel tank...

Ian
Iyarno
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: robertverhey » Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:08 pm

Yeah right next to the flammable fibreglass!
robertverhey
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: