Creaking Headlining

PostPost by: TroonSprint » Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:27 pm

I have just been trying my Sprint FHC round the local streets prior to it going for its first MoT in 38 years. Annoyingly there is a constant creaking from the headlining in the cabin. Poking it with my finger, it seems to be the extreme rear corners by the top of the rear window. I don't suppose there's much I can do about it, but has anyone else had this phenomenon?

Mike
TroonSprint
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: david.g.chapman » Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:43 pm

It could be the fuel breather lines causing the trouble. They go inside the headlining over the rear window on my +2. Is it the same for the Elan?. Can you alter the tension on them by getting to where they exit the body and pulling/pushing the outlets? if the noise goes you could then fix the pipes in that position.

Failing that you could open a path to the top of the headlining and squirt some expanding foam in.... The problem is doing it and making the entry point invisible again... :?

Dave Chapman.
david.g.chapman
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: TroonSprint » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:44 pm

Nice idea David, but the little ?lan has no fuel breathers other than a hole in the filler cap! I like the suggestion of injecting foam. I must investigate if it would be possible without mucking up the trim.

Mike
TroonSprint
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: