door latch, lock, handle assembly

PostPost by: bryn » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:42 pm

hi folks,

i don't suppose anybody has a picture of inside the door at the door lock/latch/handle assy? i need to know what rods go to where :)

thanks in advance,
bryn
bryn
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:07 am

Bryn, can you remind folks year & model if required?

I may be taking the door panels off (again) for a minor issue next week. Mine is a Federal '69 build date with the lock barrel separate from the door handle assembly. IIRC this is the same as your's? Earlier models had the lock assembly integral with the door handle; not sure of the rod details on the early model.

Note photo's of this assembly will be difficult as inside fibreglass panels block the view. For a very clear exploded diagram of both the earlier & later model rods, try rdent.com. Go to Parts Manuals (upper left green button) / Plus 2 / Body / Exterior / Door Latch. This will provide the following drawing from the parts manual for both models:

LOTUS ELAN+2 PARTS MANUAL
Section BK -- Body - Door Latch

HTH
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: innesw » Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:22 pm

Just dived into my collection of photo's from when I took my car apart and it appears I've missed this area! :oops: Oops, looks like I'll need the photo's too if anybody has them, although will be doing the doors next weekend so if I remember how they go back together I'll get a picture for your Bryn!

Innes
Innes
1965 Elan S2 (26/4681)
1973 Elan+2S 130/5 JPS
innesw
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Jason1 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:11 pm

What about this from the Parts Manual; any good?

Jason
Attachments
lock.jpg and
50/0951 1968 Wedgewood blue +2, 1990 Mini Cooper RSP
Jason1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bryn » Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:38 pm

thanks guys, you have been most helpfull as always. that should sort me out.

indeed stu, sorry, i forgot that the earlier models were slightly different :oops: mine is a '72 s130.

thanks again,
bryn
bryn
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: bob_rich » Mon May 02, 2011 9:04 am

Hi Bryn

I have a number of pictures ( around 12) of the doors innards I took while stripping down my Dec 73 +2S130. Rather a lot to post here but could PM them 2 U if they help.

I have not got around to the doors yet but the one thing I cant remember that well is the best order 2 reassemble bits in. Any info on that would be useful.

hope this helps

sorry a bit late with my response

cheers

bob
bob_rich
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Mon May 02, 2011 2:24 pm

Bob & Bryn

For details on the order of assembly, I think this will work:
  • Work on one door at a time. Leave the other door open with window down to prevent locking yourself out of the car, Window must be in up position on the door you are working on. Liberally lubricate door locks and latches prior to installation and bench test as required; rods will not play nice with stiff mechanisms.
  • If inside door handle assembly (39, 40, & 41) has mounting clips, insert it in the door panel before mounting. If no clips, you may be able to insert into position in door panel later in process. Ensure three speed nuts are correctly positioned to receive interior door latch mechanism mounting screws on the interior door panel; consider taping in place so they are not knocked out of position.
  • I did not remove brace 50 & 51, so expect it can be mounted first.
  • Mount door lock 47. Mounting bolt tricky to get on straight & not cross threaded. Should easily turn with the fingers. Mounts with a large sandpaper washer affair (not shown; can be made if you do not have one) between the nut and the fibreglass to prevent lock barrel rotating when using the key. Use the key or taped pliers to hold the lock barrel while tightening nut inside the door. Lever on lock is to rear of car I believe (locks are handed side to side).
  • Mount the door latch with IIRC four Phillips head countersunk screws and Nyloc nuts. Do not tighten fully as alignment is required later. Use flat washers as required; the fibreglass in this area is not that strong and will break easily. Check position of lock out latch to ensure set so latch will work; this appears to be a child lock type deal if the latch is used on a four door car.
  • Mount exterior door handle (35, 36, 37 & rod 45 attached) with gaskets on outside of car. Two or three screws, can't recall. Nip this one up firmly in place; hard to get at later. Uses I believe a lock washer and a flat washer. Leave rod 45 loose from door latch for now.
  • Insert lock rod 42 and attach to latch. Think it clips in to bracket 50-51 to position end to receive inside door handle later.
  • Insert door latch rod 43 and attach to latch. Think it clips in to bracket 50-51 to position end to receive inside door handle later.
  • Connect lock rod 44 to exterior door handle and door lock barrel lever.
  • Check all rods work. Found it handy to mark with grease pen what the inside rods do and their direction of travel; sort of confusing what is locked & unlocked position.
  • Shut door gently from outside of the car (while lifting up on the exterior door handle if hinge bolts are loose for alignment adjustment) to position latch assembly at correct height relative to door jamb loop. Careful; easy to scratch paint in the rocker panel or the latch area. Nip up door latch when correctly aligned, stand back and check door alignment in all directions. May require adjustment of door hinge shims and loop to get door positioned correctly. Make sure door latch works from inside of car with reasonable effort; rod 43 can bend / torque up when using the interior door latch if latch adjustment is too tight on the jamb loop, reducing the travel of rod 43 and making the door difficult to open from the inside. I had to compromise a bit on door fit and interior door latch effort on one door. Nip up the door latch mounting screws; not too tight as fibreglass is delicate.
  • Mount door panel loosely by positioning top in the glass slot and letting it hang.
  • Mount inside door handle if not done in step two.
  • From above the door, reach down and attach the lock rod 42 to interior door handle assembly by pushing into the hole while manipulating interior lock tab.
  • From under the door, reach up and attach the door latch rod 43 to the nylon clip on the interior door handle assembly. Can be a PITA job if the clip pops off the handle assembly releasing the spring. This can be re-positioned with door panel in place, but space is limited. Use tie wire as required to prevent this clip coming loose.
  • Test all rods and functions again. Interior door latch may run out of travel to unlatch door at this point, but can be improved when interior door handle is firmly positioned with the three mounting screws.
  • Mount door panel with new push in clips into new mouse condoms. Do this carefully from under the door to prevent misalignment damaging the door panel holes.
  • Install three screws to firmly mount interior door latch mechanism, ash tray (two chrome screws) and interior arm rest (two hex head screws). Not sure, but have seen reference to a piece of black vinyl to cover interior door latch screw heads for a finished look.
  • Test it all again, and move on to second door after unlocking and rolling down the window.

HTH Sure to be some improvements to the list above, but should be a good start. Might make it into our Wiki. :)
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: