Door Lock Mechanisim

PostPost by: nico506 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:11 pm

Hi All,
I have a Lotus Elan S3 with external door handles with the integral lock contained within. Can someone shed some light as to how does one align the tab on the end of the lock barrel within the lever arm that is attached to the door lock itself. I am able to easily lock the car , but not unlock it, and whilst the lock barrel turns 180 degrees without the lock fitted. I cannot seem to get it in the right position to operate the lever, when turning the key in both directions- one to lock and one to unlock.
I have looked in the Lotus Manual and archives and can't seem to find any info on this.

Any information gratefully received and thanks in advance.

Cheers
Nico
Lotus Elan S3 DHC SE 1968
nico506
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:07 pm

On my S3, the inside door handle has slots instead of fixing holes, so it can be slid to & fro a bit to determine how much the lock mechanism moves.

Not sure how this relates to the external button opener though; I've just plain forgotten :lol:

I don't recall it being difficult to work out, but it's possible that you haven't assembled it right. One part has a sort of tongue and the other part has a squarish hole ring made from flat steel. The tongue has to be INSIDE the square ring.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: neilsjuke » Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:23 am

neilsjuke
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: