DOOR SEAL RUBBER

PostPost by: ttaunton » Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:44 am

The seal I bought differs from the original in that the steel insert that should grip tightly onto the bodywork is not springy at all, but just soft steel, so it just bends and the seal thus doesn't grip and won't stay in place. Where it has to accommodate carpet around the door opening, or the ABS pillar trims up the screen frame it is useless.
This looks interesting though http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CAR-VAN-CARAV ... 3cc5faf296
I remember the original gripped quite well. Any one got a picture of the original profile, or bought any of these Ebay ones?

thanks

Tony Taunton
ttaunton
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:36 am

Hi Tony,
The original seal was a double flap type with a fabric covered panel edge gripper channel and these are no longer obtainable. I got a number of samples like those in your link and could not find one suitable for my car - they were all too thick and made the door stick out at the bottom....even more than usual ! I even tried to get some made but without success. Some report success with various types of these modern seals but I guess it depends how well (or badly) your doors fit in the first place. Have a look here......elan-f14/correct-type-door-seals-t24515.html?hilit=%20door%20seal

If you manage to find a seal like the original there are lots of us who would like to know !
Attachments
Door seal 001.jpg and
ORIGINAL Vs MODERN REPLACEMENT FROM "USUAL SUSPECT"
Door seal 007.jpg and
DOUBLE FLAP
Door seal 006.jpg and
WOVEN FABRIC GRIPPER CHANNEL
Door seal 004(a).JPG and
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: worzel » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:56 am

Hi

You could consider using one as fitted to the Reliant Gte- ok not exactly the same as original but softer and easier to compress than original (actually a lot easier to compress).

Try Graham Walker of Chester on Sealand Ind Estate.

John
worzel
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: fatboyoz » Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:03 pm

Tony,
I think I have used a seal similar to the one that John (Worzel) is describing. It is a full seal, but is very soft and compresses easily. As far as fitting it over the carpet is concerned, I found that trimming the hairy part of the carpet before pushing the seal over it made for a more secure fitting. Worthwhile testing first though.
Regards,
Colin.

ttaunton wrote:The seal I bought differs from the original in that the steel insert that should grip tightly onto the bodywork is not springy at all, but just soft steel, so it just bends and the seal thus doesn't grip and won't stay in place. Where it has to accommodate carpet around the door opening, or the ABS pillar trims up the screen frame it is useless.
This looks interesting though http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CAR-VAN-CARAV ... 3cc5faf296
I remember the original gripped quite well. Any one got a picture of the original profile, or bought any of these Ebay ones?

thanks

Tony Taunton
'68 S4 DHC
fatboyoz
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: elangtv2000 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:52 pm

I've installed door seals from MacGregor in Canada that fit well - no door pressure - and look good.
Greg
elangtv2000
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: