Door striker adjustment S3

PostPost by: Keith Scarfe » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:10 am

I have the following type of striker / latch arrangement on my S3 DHC.
IMG_20150629_213249.jpg and
IMG_20150629_213314.jpg and

I have just re-aligned my doors due to the hinge bracket at the front of the door coming loose and them dropping down at the back end. I got them really nicely lined up so they close with a lovely click and spring open nicely without bashing the body and me having to lift them up.
Now however when driving along going over bumps they rattle in the striker, not too bad but is a little annoying It seems the aeroplane wing shaped striker bit on the door part is too loose a fit in the gap in the bit on the body. The metal(?) block on the body part has obviously worn over time. I am assuming these parts are not available anywhere now so was wondering if anyone has any suggestions how to stop the rattling. The lower block is secured with countersunk screws so I cant see how they can be adjusted up to make the gap smaller. Any Ideas?
Have I maybe got something missing like a shim or plastic compressible part that would take up the gap?
Keith Scarfe
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:28 am

Not absolutely sure if I fully understand what you are saying so ignore me if I'm talking rubbish (again) but would glueing a thin piece of rubber to the bottom edge of the sprung bit help and maybe fitting a stronger spring to hold it better?
Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 65ginetta » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:28 am

When I was restoring the S3 one of the "aero wings" was missing and I made a new one with a slightly wider aerofoil section. this gives you an additional adjustment relative to the striker plate on the B pillar.
I'm still not ready to run the car so it may not work but it certainly improves the shut line around the door.
You might try a heavy grease on the gear wheel in the latch mechanism to dampen that rattle.
65ginetta
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: