Door Striker Gasket

PostPost by: William2 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:32 pm

Should there be any form of gasket fitted between the door striker cover plate and the bodywork?
William2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Grizzly » Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:18 pm

Yes. (assuming you have an S4)

Mine had never been apart and it has a 1mm thick rubber seal under the outer plate. The seal is a H shape so the centre of the rubber seal goes through the Loop i assume to stop it falling into the pillar if you undo it? The seal also sticks the outer plate to the body i'm not sure if that's the desired effect but i destroyed one of mine trying to get the outer plate off as it was stuck good.
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Grizzly » Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:40 pm

I just had a quick look about to see if i could find a picture but the closest i got was this pic of an assembly.

ZKC369 is the seal at the bottom of the pic but the one on my car is slightly different, where that has the split between the loop holes mine has 2 splits from the loop hole to the outside edge (to you have to push it through the loop to position it behind the plate if that makes sense) just remember though the Rubber needs to be a thin as poss or the plate fouls the door catch.
Attachments
GRID006264.gif and
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:48 pm

Made mine from flat rubber sheet material from Home Depot (think B&Q...)
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Grizzly » Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:33 pm

Probably too late now but i've just replaced my striker plates so have made some new seals, thought i'd take a picture and put it here in case anyone else is wondering what they look like.

There made from 0.5mm rubber sheet the thinner the better as i had some 1.5mm and the door catch caught the striker plate, using 0.5 solved this (i got the 0.5 of ebay for ?2 inc postage and still have 3/4 of a sheet left for other gaskets) :) i also found if i make the gasket screw holes the same size as the counter dimple in the plate i got a bit more adjustment to pull the door in.
Attachments
P1030891.JPG and
Original
P1030890.JPG and
New
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: