Elan S4 Door Lock

PostPost by: l10tus » Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:25 pm

I'm fitting door locks - or trying to !

Can anyone advise what the script is with fitting the short actuating rod, that runs in the slotted hole in the locking mechanism - how does it get secured ?

All the other rods go thru' holes, so the little plastic / nylon 'eared bushes' slips thru' the hole, then the end of the rod pushes thru' the hole in that, then the swing keeper is clicked into position - easy ! The 'ears' stop the bush from pulling out of the hole.

But when the one that goes thru' the long slotted part of the mechanism is inserted, it just falls out again because the bush twists and the ears slip out thru' the slot ?

Is a different type of keeper used here? - perhaps one that fits both sides of the metal slotted actuator, or am I missing something ?

I purchased all new rods and keepers from P, Matty.

All the others work ok, but the one that goes thru' the slotted part just keeps falling out - I've added a picture - the orange coloured keeper is the one I'm having trouble with?

Your assistance is required please.

Thanks,

Phil.

'72 DHC Sprint

Sometimes my Lotus makes me cry.
Attachments
ELAN DOOR LOCK.jpg and
Philip.

UK '72 Sprint DHC

l10tus
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: MickG » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:38 pm

I had the same problem with mine. I used a self tapping screw speed nut and pushed it on the rod; although I think the proper way is to use a washer of an appropriate size on the other side of the lock lever and push the retaining clip and rod through them as normal.
Hope that all makes sense :D
You will need a lot of patience to fit the lock, door release and key lock bits, took me hours and much swearing :evil:
Mick G
MickG
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:16 pm

Mine are threaded; pretty sure they are oem. What a b*&^%&d of a job trying to get the locknut started.

Greg Z
Attachments
P8260015.JPG and
Greg Z
45/0243K Sprint
45/7286 S3 SE DHC
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 69S4 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:06 am

I converted mine to look like Gregs. I spot welded a washer onto the rod and then threaded the end. A washer and nut then go on to hold the thing in place. Trying to fit the washer and nut though is the closest I'm likely to get to practicing microsurgery - not the easiest of jobs. Last thing was to drill the end of the rod to take a "R" clip. That stops the nut coming off.
Stuart Holding
Thame UK / Alpe D'Huez France
69 S4 FHC
Honda GoldWing 1800
Honda CBX1000
Kawasaki H1 500
Yamaha XS2
69S4
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jimj » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:23 pm

Or you could just drill and use the "R" clip with no thread or nut. I have a vague memory of (and a vague memory anyway) there being a whatsit pushed on. A whatsit being a thin washer with a star shaped hole, the centre of the star being a little smaller than the rod and the bits in between the star points acting as tines. You know, like a whatsit, sometimes called a thingummy.
Jim
jimj
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ericbushby » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:00 pm

Hello jimj
Also sometimes called a Star Washer, Trade name Starlock! ,but I thing `Push on star whatsit` describes it better,
Eric in Burnley
1967 S3SE DHC (running again)
ericbushby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: l10tus » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:16 pm

Just a closing note on this one - thanks to everyone for their imput, great and much appreciated.

For your info:-

I used the washer on the other side of the swing keeper, and screw threaded the end and fitted a nylock nut. (as recommended ). Looks good, and all the lock operations seem to work ok!

But the moment I savoured best was getting 'her indoors' to assist with small delicate hands, to do the necessary with the nuts and washers!

It took 10 minutes, and was well worth the counter - offer, to make a cup of tea whilst she completed the task.

Next!

Regards,

Philip.

'72 Sprint DHC.

Philip.

UK '72 Sprint DHC

l10tus
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:34 pm

I reckon this is the second worst job on the S4. Those of you with steering locks will already know what the worst is!
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: