FHC rear glass gasket fit question

PostPost by: mini64 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:58 pm

I just installed the rear window on my S4 coupe - hell of a fun job - but now am questioning the fit in the gasket. All along the top the gasket is almost horizontal, as though i dont really have the glass in place, or in line with the body openinig. Is it supposef to be like this, or has my glass kind of popped out at the top with repect to the body?
mini64
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:01 pm

As far as I recall the rear screen mounting strip is basically a rubber strip with a H cross section, with the body in one of the U s and the glass in the other. So I can't see what you mean. I would have thought it was obvious to see if it is in place OK. Did you put some soap suds on it to ease it in.

Then in addition there is a groove in the outside in the middle part of the H. After you are happy that you seated the glass correctly, you push the chromed plastic strip into that which expands the H a bit to ensure a tight fit.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: AHM » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:37 pm

As Bill says - have you fitted the chrome strip yet? That forces it into line.
AHM
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 65ginetta » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:57 pm

I fitted my rear screen at the weekend, I was surprised, 7 minutes for the glass, 10 minutes for chrome plastic insert. I think it is very dependent upon preparing the aperture shape and size, I cut and trial fitted the rubber insert when the car was raw glass fiber to check the glass fit all round. I made a felt template of the glass and offered it up to the fitted rubber. The window aperture can then be adjusted to ensure the glass fit. This exercise took about 3 hours including adjustment.
When final fitting the glass and the chrome extrusion they will fit better with some washing up liquid in the glass groove and I found fitting the screen in the bottom groove first and then resting the screen on the side/top rubber and use a thin nylon "spoon handle" type lever to lift the rubber as you push down on the glass.
The chrome extrusion spreads the rubber and secures the glass, it takes a little pressure to get it started and needs to be well down as you get to the radius corners. the bottom extrusion is mitered to give a fit at the angle corners, Hope this helps.
Attachments
Greenback-20130824-00740.jpg and
65ginetta
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: mini64 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:00 pm

here is what i mean by the rubber being pushed out and more or less horizontal at the top. It seems like the glass, while in the groove of the rubber, and the rubber seated on the apeature lip, has pushed up some, rotating the gasket in the process. anyone have a photo to compare to?
Attachments
DSCN8077.JPG and
DSCN8078.JPG and
mini64
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: AHM » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:49 pm

It is a while since my rear screen was in place and I have to do it in the next couple of weeks so looking with interest..

It doesn't look right! I think you need to ensure that it is central before you put the filler strip in.

Do you have the tool for inserting the filler strip?

I would remove the filler strip and realign the screen so that it and the rubber sit right. make sure that the rubber is well seated on the inside as well.

I wouldn't try and push it in with the filler strip in place. If it pops inward the screen will hit your roll bar and you will have a bad day.

I find with screens that you need to be in the right frame of mind allow all day and take you time - It doesn't require any force if you are not in a hurry!
AHM
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mini64 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:44 am

doesnt look that different in the picture, but much better in person - here it is after pulling the locking strip and re-adjusting the screen. It was popped up quite a bit. Please see post Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:41 pm here for how i got them installed:
lotus-elan-f19/restore-log-coupe-t21032-30.html#p199512

rear window fit.JPG and
mini64
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: