S3 FHC RHD Dash removal difficulty

PostPost by: pcarew » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:51 pm

Hello All,
I'm having a hard time removing the dash from my S3 S/E FHC (Right hand drive if that makes a difference).
I have searched the forums and seen several posts referencing Plus 2's but not so many on S3s.

The issue seems to be the steering column.....it's in the way.
The workshop manual says to pull the dash forward and then tilt it forward by 60 degrees. This doesn't seem possible in the S3 with the steering column. I have removed the column clamp/bracket screws from the dash and also removed the steering wheel. The dash is loose (all bolts are out), but it doesn't want to move forward hardly any, let alone tilt.

Several of the Plus 2 posts indicate that 'lowering' the steering column is required. This doesn't seem possible in the S3 without releasing the impact clamp and completely removing the column. I'm loath to do this as it looks like it might be a bear to reconnect the impact clamp and get everything tentioned appropriately.

Have others had similar difficulties?
Paul Carew
Austin,Texas,USA

1967 Lotus Elan S3SE Right Hand Drive, FHC 36/7152 BOO 758F
pcarew
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: jonsered 11 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:41 am

Hi pcarew

there is no need to dismantle the impact clamp, just disconnect the steering column from the coupling at the rack, by removing the retaining bolt then pull the complete column away, there is a bracket from the bulkhead to the column which you will need to unbolt as well!

Jonsered
jonsered 11
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Concrete-crusher » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:27 am

When I did mine , I undid the impact clamp and pulled the steering wheel upwards and out.

Obviously you need to disconnect the wiring to the wheel first.

I seem to remember the dash is in tight , there was also a bolt at the centre bottom hidden by felt

Good luck , my original intention was to label all the wiring but once the dash was out it looked such a mess I opted for a new look.

Steve
Concrete-crusher
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:32 am

Have you released the Speedometer cable from the back of the Instrument :wink:
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pcarew » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:35 pm

jonsered 11 wrote:Hi pcarew

there is no need to dismantle the impact clamp, just disconnect the steering column from the coupling at the rack, by removing the retaining bolt then pull the complete column away, there is a bracket from the bulkhead to the column which you will need to unbolt as well!

Jonsered

Thanks Jonsered, I'll consider this route if I can't get the dash out
Paul
Paul Carew
Austin,Texas,USA

pcarew
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: pcarew » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:36 pm

alan.barker wrote:Have you released the Speedometer cable from the back of the Instrument :wink:
Alan

Hello Alan,
Thanks for thinking about that, but yes I had disconnected the cable.
Paul.
Paul Carew
Austin,Texas,USA

pcarew
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: pcarew » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:41 pm

Concrete-crusher wrote:When I did mine , I undid the impact clamp and pulled the steering wheel upwards and out....

Hello Steve, what has stopped me doing this is that the clamp has hardly any space to work around. With the wheels straight, the tension bolt is on top, and difficult to get a tool on it.

Did this turn out to be easier than I'm worrying about?
Paul.
Paul Carew
Austin,Texas,USA

pcarew
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:08 pm

Personally I undo the two clamp bolts rather than mess with the tension bolt.
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pcarew » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:08 pm

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.
What eventually worked was undoing the steering column clamp about halfway between the dash and the firewall. This allowed the steering column to move just enough to let the dashboard be maneuvered forward up and open.

I'm now going through the arduous task of labeling leads and disconnecting from the dash.

What a birds nest!
Paul Carew
Austin,Texas,USA

pcarew
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:54 pm

When you're labelling up don't forget the headlamp vac switch pipes - it does matter which way they are connected.
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pcarew » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:13 pm

oldelanman wrote:When you're labelling up don't forget the headlamp vac switch pipes - it does matter which way they are connected.

Roger,
Thanks for the heads up on that. I have not removed the pipe connections yet, just disconnected whole control from the dash.
Paul Carew
Austin,Texas,USA

pcarew
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: pcarew » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:17 pm

One last dash disassembly issue...
Well now I have the dash completely out of the car. I have managed to disassemble everythiig off of the dash with the one exception of the heater cable.

Is there some trick/magic to removing the heater knob?

I 'could' pull the inner heater cable, complete with knob, completely through and out of the outer container, but I'm loath to do that in case I can't get it back in.

Any suggestions?

Cheers
Paul.
Paul Carew
Austin,Texas,USA

pcarew
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Concrete-crusher » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:58 am

I think you need to pull it out. There's a small grub screw holding the knob to the shaft , you can then fit a new cable as putting the old one back once its kinked is difficult.

Steve
Concrete-crusher
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:48 pm

You need to disconnect the heater cable at the water valve. It is not difficult to get it back through the bulkhead hole later.

You will also need to take the engine temperature sensor bulb out of its housing in the head., because the capillary tube and sensor bulb cannot be disconnected from the temperature gauge in the dashboard. The oil pressure pipe can be disconnected from the gauge.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pcarew » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:06 pm

Hello 'billwill',
Thanks for your input. I actually have done all that and have the dash out of the car. My issue was that I couldn't get the heater knob off, which means that I couldn't release the control from the dash facia.

In the end, i just pulled the inner cable right out of the outer sleeve.
Paul
Paul Carew
Austin,Texas,USA

pcarew
Second Gear
Second Gear

Next

Total Online: