FHC. Where does the rain water go?

PostPost by: TroonSprint » Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:12 am

Excuse my question, but it rains a lot here in the west of Scotland. In fact it's pouring today. On my Sprint FHC there are the extractor vents on the B pillar. I assume rain water must enter these quite wide slots, especially when it's blown along by the gale that we have today. Where does it go? It looks to me that the area behind the slot is closed at the bottom, so the only possible exit would be rearwards towards the parcel shelf. Surely that's not right. Does anyone know?

Mike
TroonSprint
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:42 am

I haven't checked, but I think you will find that the bottom surface of that inside cavity slopes down towards the outside and there is a small notch under the metal grill.

So the rain water runs back outside through that little notch.

Here's a photo from the gallery on this site.

Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: foxoles » Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:46 am

Mike,I'm with you on this. Bill, I assume yours is an S3 and looks different.
On my '69 S4 I also can't see where the water would go.
Pic 1 shows the opening with grille removed.
Pic 2 shows a piece of cardboard pushed as far down as it will go and the opening and screw hole marked
Pic 3 shows the cardboard removed - look how far down it goes. No way can the water run out - it must go down. But as to where?.? If there is no bottom hole that drains to the outside it would fill up and then out of the airflow on the parcel shelf.
Attachments
Pic1.jpg and
foxoles
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: TroonSprint » Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:19 pm

Interesting photos Mr Foxoles. The slot on the Sprint is a different shape. In my rather poor photo (cropped out of a whole car picture) you can perhaps see that the slot has a cut-out at the front corner that goes almost to the bottom of the box within. Water that collects in the box will escape here apart from any at a depth of 1 or 2 mm at most.

Using a pen-light and a mirror I looked inside the cavity and the opening at the rear up by the window is much higher off the floor of the box, perhaps over 1 cm. So water should not escape rearwards onto the parcel shelf. Oh well, that's not how it gets into the boot then!

Mike
Attachments
B post Vent.jpg and
TroonSprint
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: l10tus » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:47 am

Green Answer:

Do what the larger 'green' motor manufacturers do (except VW!) - catch all the rainwater run off, then collect it to replenish the washer bottle - easy !
Philip.

UK '72 Sprint DHC

Sometimes my Lotus makes me cry.
l10tus
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: