S2 hardtop seals

PostPost by: Geoffers71 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:22 pm

In the process of restoring my hardtop for EOK and I've searched practically all posts on this subject, but still can't find the info I need. Looking at the diagram for the hardtop in the parts book for the S2 there appears to be at least 1 (possibly 2??) rubber seals along the front edge of the hardtop to windscreen and one along the rear edge between the hardtop and the body. What I need is the cross-section of these seals so that I can buy new ones (don't have the old ones). Can anyone tell me what the original seals look like and how they fit? The front lip of the hardtop clearly fits into the hood slot in the windscreen surround, but is there a rubber seal that also fits into this slot? If original cross-section not still available are there equivalent seals that would do?........PLEASE :D
1965 Elan S2 (26/4726)
2002 Elise S2 (now sold :-()
1970 Scimitar GTE
"The older I get the better I was !"
Geoffers71
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: EnfoKen » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:30 pm

Hi
The original front seal is a T shaped plastic type seal . See images.
I have three hard tops and two of them had the same seal type. The third was missing the seal so I assume these to be original. The seal does not go the full length and is glued in place with a rubber type cement.
These images aren't that good so I can send you nice pics this weekend. I've looked a bit for replacements and sent photos to the UK Lotus people but no luck.
IMG_5202.JPG and

IMG_5206.JPG and

IMG_5201.JPG and

IMG_5200.JPG and
http://thegaragista.com

Elan S2 26/4448
Elan S2 26/3924
Seven S2 SB1386
EnfoKen
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Geoffers71 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:23 pm

EnfoKen, (Ken?), thanks very much for taking the trouble to take some pictures of the hardtop seals, very interesting. Trying to work out how it fits though. I can see why it's not full length as the slot in the screen surround is not full length, but which part fits in the slot. I'm thinking that the down stroke of the 'T' , if you see what I mean, fits in the slot and is glued to the under lip of the hardtop with the right hand side of the cross stroke glued to the top surface of the hardtop. Difficult to explain exactly, but I hope you follow me.
I have just been browsing a brochure from Woolies a supplier of car trim bits over here and there is a rubber seal with a cross-section very similar to the one you show. I'll take a pic and post it up for you to see. Just might work?
Can I assume that the seal along the bottom of the back edge between the top and the body is a simple 'L' shape? Many thanks again for your help.
1965 Elan S2 (26/4726)
1970 Scimitar GTE
Geoffers71
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: quaybook » Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:03 pm

Hi Geoff

Kelvedon appear to sell 'hardtop to rear deck seal' . See:

http://www.kelsport.net/parts/products. ... ctionID=23

which will at least sort the back end out. You will also need the hardtop to windscreen clamps if you don't have them already. I don't think they are available anywhere so you might have to look at pics on this forum and make them yourself.

Don't forget, if it is all too much for you I desperately want a hardtop for my S2 so you have a buyer close by!

Vernon
Elan S2 26/5614
Alfa Romeo Alfetta Berlina 1974
Westfield 7SE
quaybook
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Geoffers71 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:43 pm

Right, I've now had a chance to take a pic and here it is

SNV32809.JPG and

This looks a bit like the one EnfoKen posted, so will it do, that is the question? Maybe just a simple 'T' section would be better?
I've attempted to sketch what I think it might look like when fitted, (sorry it's the best I can do :( )
SNV32810.JPG and

Hope you can make that out! Is this right???

Thanks Vernon for the link to Kelvedon, very useful and NO you can't have my hardtop :mrgreen: I already have the screen clamps, so no problem there. Will you be going to the CL meet on the 6th?
1965 Elan S2 (26/4726)
1970 Scimitar GTE
Geoffers71
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: quaybook » Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:58 pm

Hi Geoff

Yes, weather permitting I hope to be at the CL meeting on 6th. Be good to see you if you can make it.

Vernon
Elan S2 26/5614
Alfa Romeo Alfetta Berlina 1974
Westfield 7SE
quaybook
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: