Heated Front screens for Elans

PostPost by: Mark B » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:24 pm

Hi All,
Many of you will probably know of this chap, but I bought a new front windscreen for my S4 this week from Ricky Evans motorsport in Tamworth Staffordshire.
I intended on just having a normal screen but he ended up with a batch of heated screens by mistake so I bought one of these instead (didn't even know anyone did heated versions for the elan tbh) figuring it may be a nice upgrade, so if anyone wants one give Ricky evans a call, here's his website-

http://www.heatedwindscreens.co.uk/acat ... lotus.html

I found him very helpful & much cheaper than the usual suspects!

Cheers,
Mark.
Mark B
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: AHM » Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:32 pm

Mark B wrote:but he ended up with a batch of heated screens by mistake

and renamed his website Heatedwindscreens so that he didn't do it again...
AHM
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Henry VIIII » Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:12 pm

Is he not missing a significant point?

It is rear windows that are currently not available for Elan Coupes, so that might be a better market and it makes sense to heat those too.
Henry
1967 S3 FHC
A joke a day helps you work, rest, and play. :lol:
Henry VIIII
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: elj221c » Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:46 pm

Ha, who needed a 'hot' rear window?

I used to turn round and scrape my soft top window with my new Access card!* Always froze on the inside as well as out.

* You know, your flexible friend. :lol:
Roy
'65 S2
elj221c
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: prezoom » Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:12 pm

I recently had two windshields shipped from Ricky for the Sabra GT. Seems he makes small batch runs of various glass as the need arises. Good service and the price was more than fair. Sometimes just finding the origin of the glass is a treasure hunt.

Rob Walker
26-4889
Rob Walker
26-4889
50-0315N
1964 Sabra GT
1964 Elva Mk4T Coupe (awaiting restoration)
1965 Ford Falcon Ranchero, 302,AOD,9",rack and pinion,disc,etc,etc,etc
1954 Nash Healey LeMans Coupe

Owning a Lotus will get you off the couch
prezoom
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Mark B » Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:00 pm

AHM wrote:
Mark B wrote:but he ended up with a batch of heated screens by mistake

and renamed his website Heatedwindscreens so that he didn't do it again...

There's always one smartalec... :roll:

He normally sells just plain unheated screens for the elan, not heated versions, hence only plain screens listed on his website, as said though he does have heated screens made with demand for various cars.... :P

I thought you could buy rear elan screens? I'm sure I've seen them for sale, ttr definitely sell them albeit in lexan not glass.... make it into a dhc and then you won't need one anyway.... :P :wink:

**runs and hides**
Mark B
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: bcmc33 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:01 pm

Interesting - I was under the impression that Ford held the patent on heated front screens; hence only Ford related vehicles have them.
I stand to be corrected, of course.
Brian Clarke
(1972 Sprint 5 EFI)

Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional
bcmc33
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:06 am

bcmc33 wrote:Interesting - I was under the impression that Ford held the patent on heated front screens; hence only Ford related vehicles have them.

My BMW Mini has a heated front windscreen, totally the same as the Ford item. If Ford still own the patent and it hasn't been challenged they are obviously licensing the product to other manufacturers.

My +2 has a heated front windscreen and very useful it is for demisting the screen on a damp morning beofre the heater gets up to temperature, it doesn't get left out overnight very often, but on the odd occasions where there has been frost on the screen it has been excellent. A very good battery and charging system is essential with this piece of kit as it draws around 20 amps which is doubled to 40 amps when used in conjunction with the rear screen, I have my front and rear screens set up on a push to make switch hooked into a timer relay, you can hear the engine note change as the alternator takes up the load. I use an electric window rocker switch in place of the original.
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gherlt » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:23 pm

The Lotus 340R has heated windscreen, as matter of fact it seems to be necessary for homologation to have a system prevent the mist up of the windscreen.
1964 S1 (at paint shop)
1967 S3 DHC
1969 S4 FHC (at BB's home)

https://theelanman.com for details on Brian Bucklands book.
https://shop.lotus-books.com for more Lotus related books.
We ship worldwide. PM/Email me.
gherlt
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Henry VIIII » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:24 pm

bcmc33 wrote:Interesting - I was under the impression that Ford held the patent on heated front screens; hence only Ford related vehicles have them.

Patent possibly expired by now. AFAIR, UK patents last 15 years renewable for a further 15 only.

Engineers get a rough deal on patents compared to artists & authors copyright (70 years after death of the creator).
Henry
1967 S3 FHC
A joke a day helps you work, rest, and play. :lol:
Henry VIIII
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: