+2 Heater

PostPost by: gordonlund » Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:16 pm

I just spent nearly an hour posting progress on my +2 heater repair then the system crashed. Have the pictures instead.

The company who repaired the matrix was MRS Preston Tel 01772 736500 who pressure tested and finished paint in black.

See you all at Stoneleigh in Nov with a very warm and dry +2

Gordon
Attachments
P9270026web.JPG and
Finished box ready to fit into car
P9210011web.JPG and
Unsoldered pipe reason for very wet carpets
P9190005web.JPG and
Complex. Smiths heater out of Mk 1 Cortina
gordonlund
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:51 pm

And after all that you posted it in the wrong forum! :?
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gordonlund » Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:15 pm

Not in the wrong forum, it just crashed on me. Anyway, it's back in now. Tested the fan motor just in case. Would have hated to put it all back and found the fan motor was defective. Just got the dash to put back in, steering column, radio etc. will keep you posted. Modern car dash wiring must be a piece of cake compared to all this spagette. All on a printed circuit and handy multi cable connectors. One day when I have nothing to do!!!!

Gordon :D :D :D
Attachments
P9280002web.JPG and
All ready to accept heater. Note the number on the back of the glove compartment box, the cars id.
This number is everywhere in the car if you know where to look. Fraudsters beware.
P9280003web.JPG and
Heater back in situ. Pipes to connect, dash reinstalled and we are away
gordonlund
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:23 pm

Gordon,
Don't know if you have a steering lock on your car but..... that item has caused me more grief than anything else in a "dash out" scenario, if only they had put an extra 6" into the cables and tucked them away. :evil:

Cheers,
Pete.
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gordonlund » Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:18 pm

Pete,
No. This car is a 68 +2 with no steering lock so does not have that problem. Plenty more though due to my own mods over the years such as a brake light switch on the brake pedal instead of relying on the pressure switch. I found out the hard way that by the time the brake light came on sensed by the brake line pressure senser someone behind me put a nice dent in my rear bumper. All makes for good fun in trying to make an old car fit for modern motoring.

Gordon
gordonlund
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: kcrossle » Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:35 pm

So - it crashed as you were posting... what did we miss? I am re-assembling a Plus 2 that I didn't disassemble, so your (illustrated) experience would be most helpful!

Keith
US69 50/1872 (as on the back of the glove box :)
kcrossle
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: gordonlund » Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:51 am

Keith,

Double click on my name and it will bring up my profile where by you can pick out all my posts. Anything else you need just post me. Looks like our cars are very closely related.

Gordon
gordonlund
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Alex » Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:14 pm

Interesting you have chassis number 1007, I am currently re-building 1008 for a friend

Regards,

Alex
Alex
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: gordonlund » Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:06 pm

Alex,

The heater is now back in position and I am just finishing off the dash reinstallation.

Interesting that your friends car is unit 1008. Back in 1992 I wrote to Lotus registering my new chassis and they sent me a copy of the relevent page of the famous book of unit numbers.

Unit 1008 was sold to a B Ferris, Engine No H16763 B, Invoice No 1 LK 1129, Invoice No 2 PLK 0795, Dispatch Date 15.10.68.

See you all at Stoneleigh.

Gordon
68 +2 (Rhubarb)
gordonlund
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:42 pm

Gordon
I know this is a long time ago but in your opinion could a skilled man de-solder the end plates,clean out the matrix tubes and re-solder?

John :wink:

Cold
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Sea Ranch » Fri Dec 26, 2014 6:32 pm

But how does a person (professional or other) know if a "matrix tube" is getting thin from corrosion and ready to burst a leak???
Sea Ranch
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Grizzly » Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:57 pm

john.p.clegg wrote:Gordon
I know this is a long time ago but in your opinion could a skilled man de-solder the end plates,clean out the matrix tubes and re-solder?

Cold

I had the same problem as Gordon some time ago, i was replacing a cracked rubber hose and the pipe just came off in my hand :(

I stripped it and cleaned up the Matrix / pipe but the hole in the Matrix was huge (looked like some one had used there teeth to make it) i really struggled to get a nice bead stuck until in the end (with the amount of work it took to remove firmly in my head) i had a chat with a local Radiator recon firm who told me if that joint had gone all the solder will have dried out and will need re-flowing. So after thinking what would i pay not to have to remove my dash again i was happy to get a recon unit.
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Sea Ranch » Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:32 am

Grizzly wrote:So after thinking what would i pay not to have to remove my dash again i was happy to get a recon unit.

A man who has his hierarchy of values straight.

:mrgreen:

Randy
Sea Ranch
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:18 am

Chris
I take it the end plates/pipes are a " brassy" material,so making up a spacer plate of similar material would be no problem?

john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: