Hood rear window replacement

PostPost by: oldelanman » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:40 am

Anyone tried doing this themselves ?
My hood is in good condition apart from the rear windows which are completely opaque and need replacing. The cost of having it done professionally is probably not much less than a new hood so is it worth trying a DIY repair or would it be a waste of time and effort ?
Any thoughts ?
Thanks.
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Barney » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:12 pm

I have no experience but people keep saying that you can polish anything. Can't see why soft plastic shouldn't be possible given the right polishing medium.
Elan S2 DHC (26-4399),
Barney
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: ericbushby » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:20 pm

Renovo sell a polish for cloudy plastic rear windows, but I have not tried it. Buy a bottle and try it and then we will all know if it works.
Eric in Burnley
1967 S3SE DHC
ericbushby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:52 am

Thanks gents.
I have tried the polish and it didn't work at all. May be effective on very light clouding but my windows are too far gone so I think replacement or a new hood are my only options now.
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:09 am

Funny that, I bought some off eBay, can't remember the name of the brand, but it worked quite well. I guess it depends on the type of plastic and what caused the cloudiness.
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gauntt » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:52 am

Several years ago I bought a product called "Hindsight" from a company in Edinburgh. It had received rave reviews in Classic and Sportscar magazine. It was expensive (around ?40 ten years back). The vendor said it had been developed originally for use in connection with organ transplantation! I've used it recently on the plastic window of my M100 and, sadly, I must report that it made the window more opaque. If anyone does know of a product that works then I'd be delighted to hear about it. My stepson had the plastic window of his 1999 Boxster replaced by the local trimmer earlier this year at a cost of ?330+VAT. That necessitated removal of the complete soft-top from the car in order for it to be fed through the sewing machine for a double row of stitching all round.
gauntt
New-tral

PostPost by: alan.barker » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:12 pm

If it's a plastic hood they are very cheap so best to buy a new one.
If it's a proper Double Duck Fabric hood which is the best but expensive you can get it changed for a Zip in rear Window. Which means you can replace it easily.
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pereirac » Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:21 pm

By the time you factor in tax and shipping, a vinyl hood is still over ?400 these days from the 'usual' suspects!
Carl

72 Elan Sprint
87 Excel SE
97 Alpina B10

http://www.lotuselan.co.uk
pereirac
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: