Indicator lights and bonnet bar

PostPost by: NYK » Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:45 pm

I've recently fitted a new front end and am currently adjusting the fit of h/lamp pods, bonnet and indicator lights. It seems that the fit of the indicators are, well, crap. I presume this must be normal? Do people bother to adjust the fibreglass around the lights to achieve a more professional fit?
ind1.jpg and

ind2.jpg and

ind3.jpg and

I also need to remove, clean & paint the front bonnet bar. If you look at the photo below you will see that the sides have a strange kink resulting in the bolt hole being very off centre. There is only the one bolt hole each side so it seems it was installed this way, is this normal?
bonnet-bar1.jpg and

A final question, I will need to paint inside the new nose section and also under the bonnet prior to sticking on new bonnet liner, what paint do people use? I'm thinking satin matt Hammerite, any other suggestions?

Nic
NYK
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: TeeJay » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:32 pm

Hi Nic.

The front Indicator lights are handed.
What's the fit like on the RH indicator? If it's better then you probably have 2 off RH Indicators.

There is a Kink in the bonnet support frame, but yours looks excessive, I will post a photo of mine shortly.

If you intend to put digits of your registration number on the mesh in the nose, then the inside needs to be black, your paint choice is ok.
Trevor
1968 Elan +2 50/0173
TeeJay
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: NYK » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:53 pm

Thanks Trevor, yes you absolutely correct. I had not appreciated that they were handed and certainly the fit (of both of them) is much better on the r/h side, so clearly I need to get a l/h unit. A photo of the bonnet metal work would be appreciated, I did wonder if it could have been distorted in the dim and distant past if bonnet springs had been fitted. Good point regarding letters on the mesh, do the police object to that?

Nic
NYK
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: TeeJay » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:59 pm

Bonnet Support Frame.
bonnet-support-frame.jpg and

Re Digits on the nose mesh.
Digits on the mesh is acceptable, providing the car is older than 1973 (UK), but the font, colour and spacing needs to be correct for the period and the background black.
I have just completed mine.
Trevor
1968 Elan +2 50/0173
TeeJay
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: NYK » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:38 pm

Thanks again, I?m sure I can reduce the kink in mine when I remove it for painting. I presume the only purpose in the tubular cross member, given that the bonnet opening springs are no more, is to enable the centre of the bonnet at the front to be pushed up via the adjustment bracket that my car does not have! I?m actually wondering whether to eliminate this bar. It seems to me that if one wanted to stiffen the bonnet across the front, it would be better done by bonding in a transverse rib.
Useful information about the number ?plate?
NYK
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: TeeJay » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:36 am

Nic.
Personally I would retain the Bonnet Support Frame as it is, as apart from lateral support it also helps prevent rotational movement along the sides.
Trevor
1968 Elan +2 50/0173
TeeJay
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: NYK » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:17 am

Probably best to keep original anyway.

Regarding the indicator lights, I went to Paul Matty?s site to find that they only list one indicator/sidelight unit for the front. The storeman said that there used to be two part numbers but now there was just the single item, he then put me through to the body shop. The chap there said that there have not been a left and right available for over 30 years and it was a case of one size fits all! So unless anyone knows of someone selling both left and right units, I?m either stuck with one side fitting less well or adjusting the surrounding body to get a better fit.
NYK
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: