Leaky screen

PostPost by: david.g.chapman » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:18 am

I had a leak in the same area in my +2. Water used to drip onto my right thigh. It turned out to be the chrome roof rail fixing screw holes leaking - water was running down the A pillar.

I would quickly check this if you have not done so, and re-seat the screws with RTV to fix any leak.
david.g.chapman
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:37 am

Pictures time!

inkedimg_4594_li.jpg and
Windscreen seal showing reflections from the flowable silicone (it is otherwise invisible).

inkedimg_4590_li.jpg and
Having applied Tolley's Creeping Leak seal around the boot hinge gasket, it's been sucked in by capillary action, presumably by the (porous) gasket.

inkedimg_4593_li.jpg and
Tolley's applied to the wiper box seals. The excess is more obvious here (white residue where the seal joins the wiper box). It should dry clear, so will be invisible.

We will see if this fixes it. I also applied Tolley's to the boot release cable grommet under the rear wheel arch, but I think the silicone would have been a better option as it's a good deal thicker.

The Tolley product is white and watery, like milk. It's very easy to apply and very easy to clean up afterwards. If it works, I'll be very impressed. No reason to suppose it won't as many people speak highly of it. The main point is that gaps to be sealed must not be greater than .8mm wide. If this doesn't fix the boot leak, I can always reapply.

I did dab some around the rain gutter screws as well, although I have no symptoms of leakage there.
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:11 pm

Today I washed the car again, and laid some kitchen roll down to see if the leaks have been cured.

img_4599.jpg and
Passenger footwell. Not sure this is a leak or water wicking up from the carpet.

img_4598.jpg and
Driver footwell. Soaking wet! Must be from the pedal box seal, which (on closer inspection) is not fitted properly. Problem is, it's on the side that is hard up against the inner wheel arch, where I couldn't reach with the flowable sealant. Grrr.

img_4597.jpg and
Boot floor. This carpet was dry when it went in. I think, looking at the seal, the bent bit of metal that actuates the light switch is the culprit. It is deforming the seal.

So, disappointment all round... and a return to the proverbial drawing board!

:evil:
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:24 pm

Right then! Been around the pedal box seal with flowable silicon and I think it's sorted. At least, no more leaks from there when I tested it with a bucket of water.

However.... there's always a "but"! It's leaking in at the bottom of the door seal now! I'm going to have to get new seals, but for now I've reinforced the existing seal with D profile stick on sealing strip, just under the existing seal. It pushes the existing seal forward a bit, but I don't think it's goung to work as the water is coming in at the seal join on the sill. There's a gap of about 15mm.
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RichC » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:56 am

I have found that the ingress of water at the door seal to be BEHIND or UNDERNEATH it as the rain runs down to it and wicks behind it . Worth putting a little silicone sealant on the lip before pushing on the door seal :D
RichC
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Previous

Total Online: