LOTUS nose badges

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:04 pm

I think this has been discussed in the past. I remember MikeC had a discussion in the archives and a web page too. I found the black badge I was "missing", yep put away for safe keeping. I was looking at some pictures and there was a photo of it with some spinners, I looked in the spinners box and there was the black badge...
Attachments
CABC badge 4597.jpg and
high milage.JPG and
all.jpg and
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ardee_selby » Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:34 pm

Nice collection. Do I see a Locort (rear flank) one there...with two pins rather than threaded studs?

Cheers - Richard

BTW saw this on the web recently! :roll:

"I have just opened a package from an Ebay seller which contains a gorgeous new enamelled 58mm nose badge for my S2 Elise.The difference from my old faded plastic one is immense!

However (thought it was too good to be true) it does not have a flat base with adhesive ready to simply locate the two lugs and push on. Each lug is a threaded mount with a nut on the end.

Any suggestions on how I might fill the domed void and then make a decent sticky surface to mount it please? "
ardee_selby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:08 pm

Two rear Mk1 LoCort badges!
Attachments
badge locations.jpg and
I think!
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:12 am

ardee_selby wrote: :roll:

"I have just opened a package from an Ebay seller which contains a gorgeous new enamelled 58mm nose badge for my S2 Elise.The difference from my old faded plastic one is immense!

However (thought it was too good to be true) it does not have a flat base with adhesive ready to simply locate the two lugs and push on. Each lug is a threaded mount with a nut on the end.

Any suggestions on how I might fill the domed void and then make a decent sticky surface to mount it please? "

AAAGGHHHH!!! Offer to trade him SOMETHING, anything!

Greg
Greg Z
45/0243K Sprint
45/7286 S3 SE DHC
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:21 pm

More badges

There were more badge photos but I screwed myself and I lost 25% of the hard drive last week. I can get a lot of it back but its more work than I care to do so backup your files regularly and be safe.

Anyone else have any badge photos?

1821_badge.jpg and

lotus badge with border.jpg and

elite_badge.jpg
elite_badge.jpg (16.35 KiB) Viewed 5129 times

oop's, oh well!
Climax FWB Badge.jpg and
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ardee_selby » Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:13 pm

Would this be an appropriate thread to place this link? Hope it is!

Don't think it's appeared before.

http://members.fortunecity.com/alicat1/nosebdge.htm

Cheers - Richard
ardee_selby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: type28jp » Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:57 pm

piss-ant,

Here are my Elan S2 Nose Badge photos.
I want to find a way to prevent colors from fading...

type28jp
Attachments
may2009.JPG and
Nose Badge close up picture taken - May 2010 in Japan
dec2004.JPG and
Nose Badge close up picture taken - Dec. 2004 in Southern California
type28jp
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:10 pm

Gary / Type28jp
You both show a painted badge (with the paint flaking off) which are now very hard to find.

It's hard to try and pin down what the original colour was for this badge, as being painted, it could fade to a very light yellow.

My S2 Elite and S2 Elan both have their original painted badges, and they are quite 'eggy' in colour...i.e, quite a dark yellow. Miles Wilkins has a new-old-stock one that is the same colour, but he has also seen a lighter shade painted badge which he thinks was also original....different batches and different colours, no doubt!

I'm still trying to pin down how long painted badges were fitted onto Elans and of course, Lotus Cortinas. My S2 Elan is 26/4726 built in August '65 which I reckon is too late for the painted badge...any thoughts?

Here's my Elite badge....identical to the Elan one.
Mark
Attachments
1575 Fob and Badge.jpg and
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ardee_selby » Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:25 pm

Were the three badges (nose/horn push/gear knob) always colo(u)r co-ordinated?

As bought, my S3 / SE had yellow/green on it's nose but inside the car they were both black.

Cheers - Richard
ardee_selby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:40 pm

My S3 is the same as your car Richard, and the Lotus Cortina changed to a black badge in the steering wheel in late 1964! So much for the theory that the black badge was for the post-Jim Clark cars.

Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:22 pm

As far as badges go with this topic I was hoping to see some other well worn ones, I guess the three painted ones are going back on un-restored with the broken studs on the two of them. Two sided tape is nice stuff. Please feel free to post your badge photos.
Attachments
4597.jpg and
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nebogipfel » Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:51 pm

Elanintheforest wrote:My S3 is the same as your car Richard, and the Lotus Cortina changed to a black badge in the steering wheel in late 1964! So much for the theory that the black badge was for the post-Jim Clark cars.

Mark

Mark, I think black horn push badges is an entirely different kettle of fish. All my Elans regardless of nose badge colour have had black horn push badges (except for the current one and that's only because I refuse to pay the crazy prices)

The Jim Clark story refers to nose badges but I'm not sure we will ever know the real truth about that one.
John

No longer active on here, I value my privacy.
nebogipfel
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:53 pm

That yellow, at first just ghastly, is a lighter shade of pale. :roll:

I'll get me coat...
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:51 am

John, you're right that we'll never know for sure, but having a Lotus black badge (of any sort) back in '64, presumably because some felt that it looked better in the Lotus Cortina initially, adds credibility to Graham Arnolds story. He always maintained that he ordered the black nose badge in early '67 as it looked better with some colours, and it was cheaper! Mr Chapman didn't like them, so they weren't used.

For sure, they were then used for a while after Jim Clark's death, and continued to be used on other cars, but I'm pretty convinced by Graham's version....he was there!

Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nebogipfel » Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:03 pm

Elanintheforest wrote:For sure, they were then used for a while after Jim Clark's death, and continued to be used on other cars, but I'm pretty convinced by Graham's version....he was there!

Mark

Yes I'm inclined to think that is pretty much how it happened.
John

No longer active on here, I value my privacy.
nebogipfel
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: