LOTUS V SPYDER

PostPost by: bcmc33 » Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:52 am

UAB807F wrote:The most obvious changes were around the front crossmember & uprights which were closed by welded plates to prevent the accumulation of mud & salt and they no doubt help to stiffen the structure. The vertical uprights are also braced against the horizontal crossmember, which is tubular instead of the welded square section of the original.

In my assessment these are probably the most obvious major improvements. The thick tubular crossmember is my major jacking and stand points for the front of the car - you can't do that with the flimsy Lotus crossmember.
TTR has done it's best to strengthen the Lotus design crossmember to stay within racing rules.
Brian Clarke
(1972 Sprint 5 EFI)

Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional
bcmc33
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Sundaydriver » Sun May 18, 2014 12:04 pm

Well , that was a great read , very glad I found this thread. :D

Speaking from my humble ' lotus virgin ' viewpoint...

Looking at the Spyders Y section at the front , it doesn't appear to be likely anywhere
near as flex resistant as the original design which is for all intents and purposes an 'I' Beam , which is top notch for weight v stiffness, no ? That's to my untrained eye anyway :wink:
Sundaydriver
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: marode » Tue May 20, 2014 7:58 am

If you drive around with an early Spyder frame, be shure to check the welding seams before you go. They changed this joints now to a design with extra gussets over the bushes where the lower wishbone is welded on to the vacuum chamber. Good idea.
Attachments
Foto 2.JPG and
Foto 1.JPG and
marode
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: alan » Tue May 20, 2014 8:06 am

hi marode,
imho it looks like the early Spyder chassis welds for the suspension spindles was inferior to the Lotus design. The Lotus design has nice well engineered gusset washers around the spindles but then i am biased :mrgreen:
Alan.B
alan
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: DABgp » Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:29 pm

cabc26b wrote:Dave,

I have seen the standard chassis listed at 4500 ft/lbs per degree - I have never seen a number for a 26R modified chassis. For comparison the same reference has the lotus 79 formula one car with a torsional stiffness of 5000 ft/lbs per degree which would be less that what spyder claims for their frame.

As an aside I have never understood the justification in sacrificing the originality of the car by substituting a spyder frame nor have i seen the claimed improvements manifest themselves in lap-times.

George

ft.lbs per degree, surely?
DABgp
New-tral

PostPost by: gus » Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:27 am

What year is that chassis?

Mine is 1994 vintage with many miles on it and no such issue.
gus
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: foggy » Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:39 pm

I have a frame from a Early S2/3 coupe No depth to slight rustiness. Needs new under engine cross bar installed.
in Connecticut. Love to find a home. very reasonable
Stefogatgooglemail
foggy
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Sea Ranch » Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:57 am

foggy wrote: No depth to slight rustiness.

Sorry . . . description a little "foggy" . . . could you clarify, please? :wink:

Randy
Sea Ranch
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: