Medici blue again!

PostPost by: nomad » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:50 pm

I would like an opinion on paint.

Can't seem to get Medici blue made right. Used George's [cabc26b] mixing data and the paint supplier didn't even get close. I was told by another supplier that the base colors have changed and I might not be able to get the mix right. Unfortunately, I had planned on getting the color scanned from my head light housing but found out that it isn't big enough or flat enough to do that. My body is up on a rotisserie with only the door sill's left for a paint reference.

I'm, in general, not a big fan of blue but have fallen in love with the original Medici blue that was on the car. If I don't get it just right I'm afraid I'll want to throw rocks at it! :D

Am I being misled? Should I look somewhere else?? The other supplier I tried said he couldn't even begin to mix off George's spec's.

Kurt
26/3754
nomad
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Grizzly » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:48 pm

Sounds a bit fishy that excuse tbh, Paint suppliers would rapidly loose business if their tinters weren't consistently the same colour, but each manufacture has different colour tinters so for example you wouldn't be able to use a Formulation for Dupont with Spies Hecker for example (the tinters and the tinter numbers would be different so you might not even end up with a Blue if you tried that) but any half decent paint supplier would know that.

Frankly there is no simple way of doing it if you want it as close to Original as poss, what you need is to pick a colour/shade thats close and a Painter that is good at modifying colours..... I have to do it regularly because the original colours before the lead was removed never look like modern alternatives and Customers are always right (so they say :roll: ).

Can be a real Git to get right, what you need is a friendly painter with a good paint scheme to help you, it can be mixed by eye but in this day and age it's a bit of a dying skill.

Just a thought, does George have a spray out card of the colour he used? the reason i say that is it's the most common way of having a formulation created for you and their a convenient envelope size (we used to get samples formulated all the time like this when i worked in a big shop but i warn you it's not usually cheap)
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nomad » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:44 pm

Thanks for that Chris. I do believe I haven't found the right paint expert around here yet. My old shop went to the water based system and haven't gotten the color right on the last two projects I had them do so I am moving on. Will pm George to see if he can help.

Kurt
26/3754
nomad
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: john1180 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:32 pm

I found that 2016 Freightliner Aqua blue is a very good match to Medici blue. I've spent a fair mount on samples trying to get it right. John
john1180
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Grizzly » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:52 pm

nomad wrote:Thanks for that Chris. I do believe I haven't found the right paint expert around here yet. My old shop went to the water based system and haven't gotten the color right on the last two projects I had them do so I am moving on. Will pm George to see if he can help.

Kurt
26/3754

In my experience it would be next to impossible to match a 40 year old Direct gloss with any base coat (Solvent or Water) for a start the gloss would be way out and the colour would be too clean. It would look nice though just not original if thats what your looking for.
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nomad » Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:34 am

john1180 wrote:I found that 2016 Freightliner Aqua blue is a very good match to Medici blue. I've spent a fair mount on samples trying to get it right. John

You know, I met a new looking truck the other day that I swear was the exact color I was after! Too much traffic to turn around and run him down though! :D

I'll check into that!

George's formula is a PPG tint and I believe the paint guys I went to said something about them not being around anymore. Or was I not listening? Anyway different suppliers, so, Chris, that might explain the problems with getting a match.

Kurt
26/3754
nomad
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:49 am

Try contacing Randall Fehr, someone who deals with this stuff for a living
http://www.seanet.com/~rsfehr/restorations.html
Greg Z
45/0243K Sprint
45/7286 S3 SE DHC
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elancoupe » Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:32 am

nomad wrote:

George's formula is a PPG tint and I believe the paint guys I went to said something about them not being around anymore. Or was I not listening? Anyway different suppliers, so, Chris, that might explain the problems with getting a match.

Kurt
26/3754

PPG is one of the largest paint suppliers in the US , we use them in our shop. Water based colors are being mandated because of environmental reasons, but they still produce solvent based color. Perhaps a different local information source may be in order. :)
Mike
elancoupe
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nomad » Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:33 pm

elancoupe wrote:
nomad wrote:

Kurt
26/3754

PPG is one of the largest paint suppliers in the US , we use them in our shop. Water based colors are being mandated because of environmental reasons, but they still produce solvent based color. Perhaps a different local information source may be in order. :)

Well, I got my wires crossed as I commonly do. I do know the guys I have talked to were not PPG.

The truck paint has me intrigued. My next move will be to try and find out more about that.

Kurt
26/3754
nomad
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: cabc26b » Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:46 am

Hi Kurt ,

I'm sorry you are having a difficult time , How can I help ?

Do you want me to spray you a sample ? I use acrylic sheet to make samples ( photo below ) how big do you need it ? As mentioned , its PPG , pretty common supplier in NA - the paint i use is Concept ,its a single stage , not water based , not inexpensive.

I can also get some made up for you by my paint guys , they have no issues spending time on my odd ball requests ( probably more interesting than the production shop work ) .

You can shoot me a note if you want take this off line.

Regards,
Attachments
img_20170624_222736-2.jpg and
cabc26b
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: nomad » Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:39 pm

Gee George, I hadn't gotten around to PMing you yet. Really appreciate your willingness to go out of your way! You have a PM!

Kurt
26/3754
nomad
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: