Moving bonnet release

PostPost by: thegman » Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:22 pm

For some reason my car (s4) was fitted with an aftermarket bonnet release (see pic).

Because of the size of the handle and the position and my not bendy enough legs, I've ended up catching it a few times and have cracked the surround. I am now thinking of refitting an original bonnet release under the dash.

Any pointers here? Where does the regular bonnet release attach to? Sue Miller was recommended - any other parts I need apart from the release cable and handle?

Is there any GOOD reason why it might have been moved to begin with?

One other thing I would love some advise on - the bonnet shakes about like crazy at idle (pretty rough idle on my car given the cams) - any ideas how I can make it more secure?

Thanks
Attachments
img_20170603_153339.jpg and
thegman
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: fatboyoz » Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:48 am

Hi thegman,
Saw this request whilst away. Sorry for the delay.
Attached are some pictures of the rear of my dash (1968 S4).
Two show the rear of the new dash, as fitted to the Elan, and the third shows the old dash and the holes where the bracket was attached.
The bracket has space for two switches and the mounting for the bonnet/hood release.
The slide switch is for hazard warning and was an original fitment.
The toggle switch, I added as an override for the electric radiator fans.
The four mounting screws (short self tappers) are position such that the centre of the four mounting screws line up with a line drawn down from the left hand edge of the speedometer hole (r/h drive) as viewed from the back. If a l/h drive car, this would be the r/h side of the speedo hole.
I've had a quick look at a couple of parts suppliers, and I can't find the bracket. I can't remember if mine is the original, or purchased new.
Cheers,
Colin.

thegman wrote:For some reason my car (s4) was fitted with an aftermarket bonnet release (see pic).

Because of the size of the handle and the position and my not bendy enough legs, I've ended up catching it a few times and have cracked the surround. I am now thinking of refitting an original bonnet release under the dash.

Any pointers here? Where does the regular bonnet release attach to? Sue Miller was recommended - any other parts I need apart from the release cable and handle?

Is there any GOOD reason why it might have been moved to begin with?

One other thing I would love some advise on - the bonnet shakes about like crazy at idle (pretty rough idle on my car given the cams) - any ideas how I can make it more secure?

Thanks
Attachments
photo-3.jpg and
photo-2.jpg and
photo-1.jpg and
'68 S4 DHC
fatboyoz
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: fatboyoz » Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:03 am

Hi again thegman,
The bonnet can be adjusted at the front by adjusting the five, or so, plastic bolts that should be in place, on both sides, where the bonnet "hinges".
At the rear, there should be a strip of foam on the ledge that the rear of the bonnet sits on.
The bonnet spring should also be in place.
Cheers,
Colin.

'68 S4 DHC
fatboyoz
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: