Nearly there!

PostPost by: vincereynard » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:37 pm

A few more questions before I fire it up.

1. The bonnet catches. Do the bolts have captive nuts? I'd like to replace them with new but......

2. Starter solenoid. If I run a switched connection between the battery lead and the yellow/ red connection will that allow me to operate the starter remotely. (i.e whist watching the timing.)

3. Anyone got a spare Girling clutch master cover? The present plastic version looks cheap.

Vince
vincereynard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ericbushby » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:48 pm

Vince,
there are various ways of fixing the bonnet catches.
I silver soldered two nuts onto a clamp plate with the plate holding the catches and the screw heads under the dash.
I would then be able to release the catches if the cable broke.
Hope this helps
Eric in Burnley
1967 S3SE DHC
ericbushby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:17 pm

This is how Lotus did it on the two seater Elan, dont know if its the same on a +2 (if that is what you have)
Attachments
014.jpg and
bonnet-catch-screws.jpg and
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:24 pm

1. There a plate with captive nuts on the inside on my car.

2. I think that should work. But it's white/red cable that looms yellow due to age. Ned to make sure the coil still gets 12v while cranking if the loom is wired for a ballast like mine. Should be connection from solenoid to coil to do this.
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: MarkDa » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:37 am

Metal master caps are available on eBay for a few pounds.
MarkDa
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: vincereynard » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:48 pm

Thanks for the replies chaps.

I shall try taking off the passenger side bonnet catch and hope its not a Lotus thing. Some have captive nuts - some do not!

I would then like to get rid of the ugly modern(ish) washer bottle that gets in the way of the heater and vacuum rubber pipes. Was the original washer bottle the Tudor bottle just visible in front of the rad? That's now used as the radiator overflow.

Things are betting a bit tight space wise as the ali. radiator is appreciable wider than standard.

s1350001.jpg and

Vince
vincereynard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:24 pm

My washer bottle was the Tudor type with top pump mounted the narrow radiator bracket.

I now have wide radiator and same washer bottle as you, mounted to right bonnet catch with longer bolt than standard.

Your engine bay is looking very nice!
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: vincereynard » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:43 pm

mbell wrote:I now have wide radiator and same washer bottle as you, mounted to right bonnet catch with longer bolt than standard.

Your engine bay is looking very nice!

I would be interested to see how mounting it to the bonnet catch works. The cable / release mechanism would get in the way on my +2.

For how long it will remain sparkly is in question. I'm replacing all the old/ painted over bolts and washers with new, that always help.
vincereynard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:45 am

Here's a picture. Probably not secure enough mountand probably change it at some point, but kind of true lotus....
Attachments
20170811_214240.jpg and
Washer bottle
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: vincereynard » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:59 am

That's actually rather neat and a trial fit shows that mine would also "just" fit in the same place.

As you say it fits with the Lotus way. A bit dubious but above all cheap! Perhaps an additional vertical support on to the inner wing? That would of course reduce it's Lotusness.
vincereynard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:23 pm

I just stuck some felt pads under it to ensure no rubbing. Kind of temporary mount as some point plan to mount it and expansion tank on better mount. Was thinking of an upside down T arrangement with one bottle on each side. Not got any real plan thou.
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: