New Plus 2 S130 dashboard

PostPost by: JonB » Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:32 pm

What's that hex bolt doing securing your dash, Vince?

:shock:
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Peter +2 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:50 am

Jon, lots of good advice from the rest of the team. I particularly like the idea of modern connectors rather than bullets which take up a lot of room, especially at bulkhead join and are unreliable by modern standards. If you stick with bullets then use electrical lubricant which allegedly improves the connections.

In terms of aligning the switches I think I used lolly sticks or the like to get the correct spacing but still did the final alignment by eye. That?s where the oversized holes on the switches save the day.

Reading through the posts reminded be of few further things to think about.

- don?t get the switches the wrong way around otherwise the windows will go down when you press the up.
- wrap plenty of tape around the gear stick fitting, otherwise that will be the first scratch on that lovely dash.
- loosen but better remove the steering column.

Now further mission creep, as you are doing much more than changing the dash. So here goes while you are at it-
- remove and refinish the metal demister grills if looking a bit tired
- check the wind screen washers and wiper mechanisms
- remove the pedal box and reinforce the aperture.
- fit a battery cut off switch to the main steering column mounting bracket, it?s very out of the way there and very descrete.

Oh, did someone say overhaul the heater?

Why - because you know you want too!

Peter
1968 +2 BRM
Peter +2
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:11 am

Heater overhaul and steering column bushes are on the to-do list. Pedal reinforcement, too. Why fit a cutoff switch, is it for security? I have an immobiliser.
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Grizzly » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:13 am

Robbie693 wrote:I'd not heard of Nick but it looks like he was formerly known as City Polishers.

I may be mistaken but i believe thats who supply Sue Miller with her dash's...... The S4 dash i bought from her had a small City Polishers label on the back, the finish on that dash was also stunning.

Jon, have you test fitted a switch yet? the switch holes on my dash are bigger and it took a bit of messing about to get them centered, some thing else to consider is blanking the space round the switch out with some foam etc to stop the dash lights bleeding through the gap at night (i used smiths gauge bezel seal, assuming you need it of course) o and if you use new screws make sure their plated not stainless (if for any reason in the future you need to remove some thing a magnetic screw driver makes life so much easier)
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:34 am

No, not test fitted anything. My car is still in one piece - old dash still in place. I haven't started yet.. first job is engine & gearbox out, but not until Spring.
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Peter +2 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:14 pm

Jon

The quickest way to save an Elan or just the wiring loom from an electrical short is disconnect the battery, Much damage can be done in the time it?s takes to get out of car, open the boot, pull the floor and finally disconnect the battery.

I have replaced dash looms on two separate +2?s one was down to my handy work, and one down to a PO?s bad luck. With the latter when I saw the melted mess behind the dash I was amazed that the car still ran and it explained why certain bits didn?t.

It also doubles as a secondary immobiliser.
1968 +2 BRM
Peter +2
Third Gear
Third Gear

Previous

Total Online: