New rear bumpers at Paul Matty

PostPost by: Robbie693 » Wed May 24, 2017 10:07 am

KevJ+2 wrote:I got my front bumper, front and rear lights, 4 spinners and a couple of small bits of trim re-chromed for ?250 at Hockley Enterprises, Southend.
https://www.hockleyenterprises.co.uk

Wow - good price

Robbie
Robbie693
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Bigbaldybloke » Wed May 24, 2017 10:23 am

I used Derby Plating, sounds like it was expensive, but, stripped, copper plated, nickel plated, then chrome plated and looking as good or better than new. Quoted around ?60 a piece to do my well battered spinners
Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine!
Bigbaldybloke
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: JJDraper » Wed May 24, 2017 9:40 pm

+1 on Derby plating. Expensive at around ?400 for a front bumper, but it came back nearly a kilo heavier than it went (I weighed it before and after) and noticeably thicker. Still a great fit, and has survived its second winter on the road in all weathers (I do mean all weathers) without a blemish. The previous rechrome cost ?250 and initially looked great. It lasted three years before I couldn't bear to look at it any more, it was so pitted.

If your car never sees rain and salt you may not see any extra value in the added cost of a 'proper' job.

At the same time I took an original rear bumper that had seen better days, but had the lower lip. He quoted the same price to do, but I was a bit short of cash that year! It was expensive, but not as expensive as a poor job that had to be re-done three years later.

Jeremy

PS see if you can guess which of the two bumpers shown is the Derby plated one.. No connection to the firm, just satisfied with their work..
Attachments
elan-_-2-front-bumper-detail.jpg and
Poor chrome after three years
p1090539.jpg and
p1090537.jpg and
p1090535.jpg and
JJDraper
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Robbie693 » Thu May 25, 2017 10:23 am

Derby plating was top of my list as the chroming on the rest of my car was done by them (previous to my ownership) but I knew they weren't cheap.

I do use the car in the winter so maybe I'll have to bite the bullet. The repro bumper is showing a few blisters but nothing has broken through yet and no pitting, wether this was chromed at the time of the restoration or was an of-the-shelf new purchase at the time I don't know. It does have the same finish on the back side as Jeremy's does though.

Robbie
Robbie693
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JJDraper » Thu May 25, 2017 3:08 pm

It does have the same finish on the back side as Jeremy's does though.

I put the finish on - Hammerite. Standard advice for any bumpers. No rust underneath, so perhaps I should have used Hammerite on the top as well....

I had a chat with the guy at Derby Plating and he said that it looked like the previous job had been copper plated as well, but the layers were very thin ('flashed on' I think was his term), as was the chrome. Chrome itself is surprisingly porous, hence it needs a good layer of something underneath to seal the steel, like nickel or copper.

Jeremy
JJDraper
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: david.g.chapman » Thu May 25, 2017 6:00 pm

I had my chroming done by D. F. King on Canvey Island, back in 2002.

It came to about ?700 for every item on the car (+2) except for the door locks. Still looking good and no sign of flaking.

I also hammerited the back surface of the front and rear bumpers, as Mr. King suggested. My rear bumper also had to have a piece welded in as it was holed in one spot. You would never know now. All in the price.

I think he is still going judging by his internet footprint.

Dave Chapman.
david.g.chapman
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Robbie693 » Thu May 25, 2017 11:06 pm

Hmmm I thought it looked like Hammerite!
Robbie693
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Chris5360 » Mon May 29, 2017 8:44 am

Had mine done at chrimeworld in Kent, very pleased, he keeps overheads down as the unit he works from is in his back yard, plus for example I paid ?190 for my front bumper and almost everything in the car except the back bumper came to about ?900
Chris5360
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: mikealdren » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:34 am

Chris5360 wrote:Had mine done at chrimeworld in Kent ?900

I wouldn't call their pricing criminal.....
mikealdren
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:19 pm

For US folks I just noticed Rdent is now selling new rear bumpers and the front mustache. They not exactly cheap and no idea if they are same parts as from Paul Matty's.
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: EMA7K » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:19 am

Someone backed into my +2 four years ago and ruined the back bumper (thankfully no other damage). Paul Matty fitted one of their replacements but after four years the chrome is badly pitted. The fit is not perfect but ok. I have an original back bumper but this is in need of some serious re-chroming. Can anyone recommend a re-platers in the Cheshire/Merseyside region.

Thanks

Gareth
(EMA7K)
EMA7K
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Bigbaldybloke » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:53 am

I'm near the coast in Lincolnshire and have had to go across to Derby Plating to get a good job done, probably similar distance away from you. Expensive but no hesitation recommending the quality of work they do, I'm about to take them my original rear bumper which has rust spots and a couple of minor dents to see what they can do with it.
Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine!
Bigbaldybloke
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:56 am

Don't go to Home of Chrome / R&S Electroplating, Failsworth

John :(
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JJDraper » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:45 am

When I took my front bumper to Derby Plating I also took an original rear, with the lip, but didn't get it done due to lack of cash. He noted the lip and said it would not be a problem to retain this and quoted the same price as the front - ?400 plus tax.

If you ever get an original rear bumper done, make sure they are aware that the lip is to be retained! A few years back, mine came back minus the lip.

Jeremy
JJDraper
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:09 pm

Jeremy ( et AL )

"! A few years back, mine came back minus the lip."

DITTO

John :(
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear