Older powder-coated chassis - ?waxoyl

PostPost by: dunclentdr » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:04 pm

I have a 15 year old powder coated chassis which whilst in great condition has a few small areas where the steel is exposed and there is surface rust.

I am thinking about waxoyl treatment. Does anyone have thoughts or suggestions? I am based in the Midlands (UK) and appreciate ideas about potential suppliers of whatever treatment is recommended.

Thanks

David
David Rose
1963 S1 - Bourne bodied
1963 S1 - Bourne bodied
1965 S2
1966 S3
1969 Europa - 210bbhp by Banks
dunclentdr
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Elanconvert » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:44 pm

hello david
my experience of powder coating is mixed.......some excellent some rubbish....
I would be very wary of any powder coating that is deteriorating [or has it been damaged?] and coming away from the metal.......my guess is that it will [might] be about to do this in other areas...... :(

:D fred :D
'Never give up!....unless it's hopeless.....'

1970 S4 dhc big valve
1973 Ginetta G15
1967 Ginetta G4 [sadly now sold]
1959 lotus elite type 14
Elanconvert
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: englishmaninwales » Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:07 pm

I agree with Fred about powder coating. I treated small areas of corrosion on my Caterham space-frame with POR15 system (strip off old PC, wire brush, Marine clean, wash, POR etch coat, wash and POR 15 paint) to good effect.

Malcolm
1966 Elan S3 Coupe
1994 Caterham 7
englishmaninwales
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: cal44 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:33 pm

I'm out.
Last edited by cal44 on Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Be Polite, Be Professional, But have a plan to kill everyone you meet"
General "Mad Dog" James Mattis United States Marines
cal44
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: kmoist » Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:15 pm

Please share your POR15 tips
67 S3 Elan FHC
36/5823 chassis
LP6076 LBA engine
kmoist
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:47 pm

My vote would be por 15 too. Used it on the exposed parts of my +2 chassis.

Tips on use would be appreciated.
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: englishmaninwales » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:33 am

.....and wear gloves with POR as it's awfully difficult to remove :shock:
1966 Elan S3 Coupe
1994 Caterham 7
englishmaninwales
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: cal44 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:53 am

I'm out
Last edited by cal44 on Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cal44
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Chancer » Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:02 am

Let me guess, you store the tin upside down?

Never used POR15 but its what I do to prevent skin forming on my paints and them going off.

Another tip if you have ever had an aerosol made up to a specific paint colour with 2K paint (excellent for panel repairs), the hardener is added in the mix and it will be unusable within a week or so however this time can be extended to up to a couple of months if stored in the refrigerator.
Chancer
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: cal44 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:10 pm

I'm out
Last edited by cal44 on Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cal44
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: bill308 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:19 pm

I think the important thing is to clean, stabilize, and seal the rust area.

Remove any loose rust mechanically. Stabilize the remaining rust with a rust converter that changes rust from an aggressive to a benign form, then seal it.

Note that some modern steels are alloyed to form a protective rust during weathering. These steels are now commonly used in electric transmission towers (See COR-TEN steel) and bridge construction. These steeks are not otherwise protected from corrosion. The rust forms a protective (passive) coating on the surface.

POR-15 performs two of the 3-steps. It converts the existing rust to a more benign form and seals it from new moisture.

Separate rust converters look like chocolate milk and change brown rust to a black ceramic like material. I usually use 1-3 coats of rust converter and leave it at that. I think this form penetrates better than a do-it-all converter paint, but rust converter should be top coated with a paint (epoxy) for best protection. Rust converter is also inexpensive and lasts a long time. A little goes a long way. It is commonly available in auto parts stores like NAPA, under their own name. The first time I used rust converter was on surface rust on my S2 chassis. I acquired a small amount of rust converter from a nuclear power industry supplier and just brushed it on and left it.

Bill
bill308
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: bill308 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:19 pm

Remove any loose rust mechanically. Stabilize the remaining rust with a rust converter that changes rust from an aggressive to a benign form, then seal it.

Note that some modern steels are alloyed to form a protective rust during weathering. These steels are now commonly used in electric transmission towers (See COR-TEN steel) and bridge construction. These steeks are not otherwise protected from corrosion. The rust forms a protective (passive) coating on the surface.

POR-15 performs two of the 3-steps. It converts the existing rust to a more benign form and seals it from new moisture.

Separate rust converters look like chocolate milk and change brown rust to a black ceramic like material. I usually use 1-3 coats of rust converter and leave it at that. I think this form penetrates better than a do-it-all converter paint, but rust converter should be top coated with a paint (epoxy) for best protection. Rust converter is also inexpensive and lasts a long time. A little goes a long way. It is commonly available in auto parts stores like NAPA, under their own name. The first time I used rust converter was on surface rust on my S2 chassis. I acquired a small amount of rust converter from a nuclear power industry supplier and just brushed it on and left it.

Bill
bill308
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: bill308 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:20 pm

Bill
bill308
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:54 pm

Bill

i'll fourth that...

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bill308 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:51 pm