Original Chassis

PostPost by: vincereynard » Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:45 pm

There are still a number of cars with their original chassis.

Even if it is in good condition and not rusty, should I be dubious about it's integrity?

Do they have a history of fatigue failure? Stress cracks etc.

I do not imagine that the original designer envisaged them still being viable 40 years later!

Vince
vincereynard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:38 pm

Depends how many miles it has done really.

But have you checked for rust inside the front turrets. if the drain holes are blocked they can look perfect on the outside, yet be paper-thin and a screwdriver will easily poke through the metal near the bottom.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: CBUEB1771 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:52 pm

Bill is correct about the front turrets. Also check the area at the bottom of the felt sound deadener blanket on the backbone section, that area is prone to rust. Fatigue failures are most common at the engine mounts and attachment points for the rear struts.
Russ Newton
Elan +2S (1971)
Elite S2 (1962)
CBUEB1771
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Hawksfield » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:54 pm

Hi

My 1971 +2s130 has an original chassis that I stripped and rust proofed in 1986, all usual rust spots treated.
no problems to date after 90k miles
John

+2s130 1971
Hawksfield
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: vincereynard » Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:18 am

Thanks for the replies.

Why can't the front turrets be foam filled so water could not enter in the first place?

And, after it has been converted to electric pod lifts, the front vac. chamber?

Vince
vincereynard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:37 am

The problem with foam filling is that it is never a perfect water tight seal and water will get down between the foam and metal and still cause corrosion.

Paint the internals of the front uprights with high zinc primer and a good top coat, keep the drain holes clean and spray a little corrosion sealer in every couple of years and you will be fine. Or weld a plate in to seal the top or buy a Spyder chassis where this area is sealed already.

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nomad » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:27 pm

vincereynard wrote:Thanks for the replies.

Why can't the front turrets be foam filled so water could not enter in the first place?

And, after it has been converted to electric pod lifts, the front vac. chamber?

Vince

The last MGB's had there rust prone areas filled with foam and when it separated from the metal, as it always did, they rusted through faster than the early ones. Not the answer.

Kurt.
nomad
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: William2 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:38 pm

My 1971 S4 still has the original chassis which I only needed to treat for the odd bit of surface rust. Regarding the front turrets, I just put loads of Waxoyl inside.
William2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:30 pm

WD40 is good ?but no duct tape ?.ed :shock:
dont close your eyes --you will miss the crash

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Mick6186 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:13 pm

Welding a plate to enclose the front turret box sections isn't easy if you have a later chassis with a return on the edges for extra strength. I painted the insides of mine with rust converter, then hammerite then waxoyl. Following this I made sealing plates out of thin aluminium and sealed them around the edges with a good fillet of tiger seal panel sealant. When dry the whole lot is painted with a few coats of hammerite. Totally weatherproof and easily removed in the future to re apply rustproofer if deemed necessary.
Mick
Mick6186
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:18 pm

gently heat the shock area with a butain torch. to dry the area out....... GENTLY so you don't have to call 911 before you apply any oil or protection .....keep water handy in case things go bad.......
dont close your eyes --you will miss the crash

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gus » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:17 pm

All original chassis are questionable.

period

full stop

they were never designed to last half as long as they have

If you drive it like you mean it you will break it

Now that does not mean there are not original chassis that are intact, it means that if you are buying a car, the only logical assumption is that if it is an original chassis that it needs replacement and price it accordingly.
gus
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: William2 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:09 am

I have to disagree. If you properly inspect the chassis for any serious rust and check all the obvious places for signs of stress cracks then if there are no problems then the chassis is perfectly useable. I would suggest that the majority of Elan owners do less than 3000 miles a year and that should also be taken into account as regards the chassis lifespan. It was designed to last if treated with respect and maintained. Why spend ?2K if it is not necessary.
William2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Certified Lotus » Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:24 am

I just replaced the original chassis in my car. The serial number of the chassis is for the original Elan S1 built in December 1963. It was in surprisingly good shape. No rust what-so-ever and not too bent up from jacks being used improperly. There where a few areas that had stress cracks and had been brazed, with the motor mounts cracking again at the top. The only reason I replaced it with a new chassis is due to building a higher horsepower TC and wanted a 26R chassis for the re-inforcement.

If you find one in good shape, why wouldn't you keep it?

DSC05567.jpg and
Glen
05 Elise - Back where I started
65 Elan S2 - 26/4055
72 Europa - 74/2358R
69 Elan S4 - 45/7941
64 Elan S1 - 26/0379
12 Colin 30 - Lotus Racing Kart
07 Exige S - Wicked Road/Track Car
07 Exige S - Fast Road/Track Car
06 Elise - Track pack
Certified Lotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: vincereynard » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:22 pm

This is the area we are talking about? The open box , that is closed off on the replacement chassis?

The fact it is an ideal shape for filling with crud is the problem?

I suspect that would be a bit awkward to weld a closing plate as a repair or reinforcement. The plate is unlikely to be totally watertight itself so water would still get inside.

Not to mention distortion caused by the welding. Tricky.
Attachments
FRAME_1.jpg and
elan chassis.jpg and
vincereynard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: