Packed out lower steering column mount

PostPost by: JonB » Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:08 am

Are you one of those "grease the trunnion" heretics?

:lol:

Anyway.. yesterday a Lotus Elan + 2 Workshop Manual arrived. Looks like a photocopy in an official Lotus ring binder (maybe that's how they came originally?) but it is in good readable condition despite all the grime on the binder and has all the info including S130 wiring and 5 speed gearbox. Cost was less than the Brooklands book; I must have been very lucky. Anyway, I spent an hour paging through it and reading some of the sections I'm interested in at the moment. Went to bed really pleased but with sore eyes.

Happy camper. :D
Last edited by JonB on Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: MarkDa » Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:44 am

I am - MS2 grease for me.
MarkDa
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:04 pm

Update time, as I am getting close with the front suspension.

I freed up the steering rack (nice tight rusty nuts), thinking I'd remove it and give it a bit of a clean as it is covered in greasy black smeg. Unfortunately, it looks like the radiator needs to come out for me to be able to lift the bolts out of the chassis holes. Pfft, should have expected that. A job for "engine out day", methinks!

Oh well. Turned the rack slightly (not sure if it is supposed to be adjustable like this or not) and trial fitted the U/J. Loosened the upper steering column mount. Joined the U/J together, put the bolts in loosely. It's a good fit. Bolted the rack back up, fitted the sliding column bracket, nipped it up.

Hmmm. Outer column still hard up against the dashboard. It is flexible and can be moved down a little, which means even more packing in the lower column mount. Sigh. The car is obviously trying to tell me something - better go and buy some more washers!
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:26 pm

OK, success at last, only achieved by adding more packing to both brackets.

img_4365.jpg and
Bottom bracket (new spacers are smaller than the original washers)

img_4366.jpg and
Top bracket

img_4367.jpg and
Column / deshboard gap

img_4364.jpg and
Bottom bracket nuts (in engine bay)

Of course, this being me, it could not have been expected to go without some sort of disaster. Apart from the bottom bracket nuts not being wound on "full thread", I had an ignition bolt shear off as I was tightening it, so that's not coming off the column again! Of course, these bolts are supposed to shear as an anti-theft measure but mine were still intact (very useful). Oh well.

Now the wheel feels pretty good and is slightly lower. I might even be able to see over the top of it. I didn't do the bushes although I think I will do them at some point, because there's still a bit of play.

Cheers
JonB
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: MarkDa » Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:26 pm

That's the indicator cancelling sorted then -
just a few incidental jobs on the way!
MarkDa
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:38 pm

Well, it is... until the suspension goes on and I have to do the tracking and adjust it for the "straight ahead" centre position. At least I can get the lower U/J bolt out easily now (Coppaslip's lovely stuff!).

Just hoping Sue gets the uprights to me in time for Xmas, she's waiting for stock.
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: MarkDa » Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:15 pm

I guess you could have set the rack at mid point and then done tracking around it but with easy uj release it won't be too big a job, particularly if you still have carbs off.
Sounds like you've got Xmas sorted!
MarkDa
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: