Pedal Box Photo

PostPost by: William2 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:09 am

Does anyone have a photo they could put on the forum of a RHD S4/Sprint pedal box. In particular I need to know the arrangement of the foot brake switch and bracket.
William2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: jono » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:03 am

There's a detailed diagram on here which may help:

http://www.rdent.com/manuals/index.html
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: marklowe » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:07 pm

This is a photograph I took as I was striping the dashboard out of my 1969 S4 a few years ago, the steering column is already removed and the brake light switch is circled.

Mark
Attachments
S6000087.jpg and
marklowe
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:27 pm

Here's another view.....
Attachments
Pedal box assembly 003.jpg and
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elanner » Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:34 am

I have the same question, but for a Left Hand Drive pedal box.

Would somebody please post a photo of the box that shows how the brake & clutch pedal return springs are fitted? While looking at another Elan this past weekend I suddenly realized that I'm missing the clutch spring altogether and the brake spring is not fitted correctly. This doesn't seem to matter much but I'd like to get them right. I didn't think to take a photo when I had the chance. :-(

The clutch spring looks simple enough (I think) but how should the brake spring be fitted so that it doesn't foul the brake lamp switch?

Thanks, Nick
elanner
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: crannyr » Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:32 pm

Nick PM sent
crannyr
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: elanner » Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:23 pm

To add some more detail to this thread I found a discussion on the topic by Greg and Gary a couple of years ago: lotus-chassis-f36/pedal-return-springs-t25155.html

Looking at pictures in that thread, this one, and my own pedal box shows minor variations in how the brake spring is fitted, presumably triggered by differences in the position of the brake light switch bracket and the spring hole in the pedal. The photo shows how I did mine:
Nicks-PedalBoxWithSpringHole.png and
LHD pedal box - with brake pedal stud; hole in light switch bracket

The novelties are:
- A nut/bolt is fitted into the spring hole in the pedal. It is used as a stud for the spring to hook on to.
- The leg of the spring fits through a hole in the switch bracket. It took me a while to notice the hole and realise what it was for.

Meanwhile, crannyr's picture (thanks Rick!) shows a notch in the bracket, at the top, presumably for the spring to sit in:
Ricks-PedalBoxWithSpringNotch.jpg and
LHD pedal box - notch cut from top of light switch bracket

And Mark's earlier posting shows the spring just clearing the bottom of the bracket (in a RHD box). Over, under or through!

I've no idea if Lotus put a stud in the brake pedal. It seems rather unlikely. I can't find an illustrated breakdown for a LHD pedal box. However, the hole in the light switch bracket suggests some trickery, and given the bracket and pedal hole positions I couldn't see any alternative. And it does all line up rather nicely.

A side effect of this setup is that the leg of the spring runs past the accelerator cable with about 1/8" clearance (a Chapman mile!). But it doesn't foul it, as far as I can tell.

If anybody has a better setup please let me know.

Nick
elanner
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:53 pm

elanner wrote:If anybody has a better setup please let me know.

Nick

Probably not better, but it is the best I can do with 2 new springs from Ms. Miller:

img_5277.jpg and

Thx for noticing that I was missing the 2 springs at LOG36 Nick :oops:
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elanner » Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:33 am

It's remarkable how every pedal box seems to have its own way for the springs to fit.

Nick
elanner
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: