Plus 2 replacement glovebox

PostPost by: NYK » Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:15 pm

I have just purchased a replacement glove box to fit to my new dashboard, the quality is so disappointing as to render it unusable. Basically it is undersized such that you see the mounting flange and in places there are just gaps. I?d always thought these glove boxes to be pretty iffy but this one would not be out of place on a cheap kit car. I?m wondering whether I might not fit a carbon facia plate inside the dash with a recess within in for the radio as generally radios don?t look that great mounted in the dash. Any comments?
NYK
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Davefettback » Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:42 pm

I thought the same when I took mine apart. So instead of ordering a new one, I fabricated the same dimensioned glove box in a stiff cardboard. Then once happy with the dimensions and fit, fibreglassed the exterior. The mounting flange was built up heavier. Sanded smooth and the interior lined with black felt. It?s perfect!
Davefettback
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: NYK » Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:42 pm

I'd been hoping to avoid such fabrication having spent the last year doing GRP repairs prior to it going off to the body shop
NYK
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: wotsisname » Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:26 pm

The original is folded & rivetted (i think they are bifurcated rivets. The material is heavy card / millboard. If an early +2 it shouldn't have the hole for the lamp. The inside was flocked (at least on mine) in black unlike the modern finish.
there isn't much flange on the lower edge and it seems to tuck down inside the edge trim with the screws for the trim holding both parts. I found the glovebox hole for my replacement dash (purchased in the 1990s) is slightly larger than the original which doesn't help the fit at all
1968 Elan plus 2 - project
2007 Elise S2 [modified with a Hethel 70th sticker (yellow)]
2000 Elise S1 - Sold
wotsisname
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: