Plus 2 weatherproofing improvements

PostPost by: JonB » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:46 am

Hi

As I understand it, some Plus 2s had additional door seals at the leading edge of the door. The seal itself is said to be an L shaped rubber seal, held in place by a strip of metal riveted to the body near the courtesy light switch. The strip prevents water ingress, particularly at the point where the door trim meets the leading edge of the window surround.

Anyway, I thought this would be a good idea to try and replicate, so I ordered some self adhesive D strip:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Strip-Weathers ... 0781F1TNL/

I plan to stick it to the door so it fills the gap above the hinge as shown here:

http://images.lotuselan.net/lel/33000/0 ... 0seals.jpg

The second thing I am looking at is the membrane that is supposed to be fitted between the door card and the door whose purpose is to protect the door card from damp. I thought I'd use a plastic shower curtain material as it is stronger than polythene and more flexible. I propose to attach it to the door using double sided closed cell sticky foam, which is how membranes are fitted to modern cars. Of course, it is undetectable, but will improve the life of the unobtanium cards, and reduce drafts.

Looking at my door cards, I can see there is some softening of the hardboard near the edges, especially round the clip holes. This results in the cards not sitting flat, or the clips not retaining the card properly. In order to restore some stiffness, I thought I might use a proprietary product called wood hardener. It's used to repair sections of rotted timber and is a very thin, volatile liquid. It works by being drawn into the wood by capillary action, then setting hard. I figured I could apply it, then cover the area with cling film and press it flat as the liquid dries. The cling film might stick to the board, but not the thing I am pressing it with.

Comments? Suggestions?
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: