S3 3 point seat belts

PostPost by: rcombs » Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:41 pm

I'm looking for some advice. My car has made in England Irving parachute company seat belts that were installed very early on by the original owner.
irving-1.jpg and
These are not the type that were made in the USA, therefore getting them restored is going to be a project. I'm not sure what happened to the originals, or if the car even had any belts. Belt mounting points are the two low points for the lap belts and one up high and outboard for the solder belt. The car was purchased new in Canada.

I'm thinking about buying some new belts that look period correct. I have read some of the older posts but wanted to get some newer feedback.

Thanks,
Rick
rcombs
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: StressCraxx » Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:18 pm

I have the same exact set in my late S3. I am also interested where I could find a set or get them re-webbed.

The label also references a "British Parachute Specification"!

Thanks.
Dan
There is no cure for Lotus, only treatment.
StressCraxx
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ericbushby » Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:35 pm

Hi Rick,
I had the same situation. I sketched what was needed from a friends S4
I watched on ebay for Kangol magnetic seat belts and kept buying them ,or parts of, until I had all the fittings.
They can be cheap if the seller does not know they were fitted in Lotus and Jaguar cars.
It took a while.
From the breakers yard I took unused webbing out of the rear seats of a Ford Mondeo.
The local cobbler stitched them up for me copying the original stitch pattern and refitting the labels.
They look close to original.
They sometimes turn up in new condition and some one on ebay advertises restoration to original condition.
Best of luck,
Eric in Burnley
1967 S3SE
ericbushby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: lotusfan » Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:22 pm

Rick

You may like to look at this company in UK, they can probably refurbish your belts. They seem to be well respected.

https://www.quickfitsbs.com/index.php
Mike
72 Sprint DHC
lotusfan
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: 1owner69Elan » Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:53 pm

I had my original Kangol seat belts from my S4 SE DHC refurbished by Sue Miller. New webbing, new Lotus stickers, and using proper Kangol sewn-on labels. Sent my belts from California to UK and back.

Don't know if Susan has replacement belts.

Here are the belts prior to refurbishment. Shows the various parts involved. If you can collect the parts, undoubtedly Susan can put an original set together for you.

img_5729.jpg and
'69 Elan S4 SE
Street 181 BHP
Original owner
1owner69Elan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:37 pm

The Irvin belts came in various lengths and fitting types, they were fitted to Mk 1 Lotus Cortinas, Elites, type 26's and very probably to early S3's.

NOS belts sometimes come up on eBay and they change hands for upwards of ?600.

Original webbing is no longer available, but I'm sure you could find something close.
Last edited by Mazzini on Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rcombs » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:06 pm

Hey everyone, Thanks for the info.

Dan, nice to know you have these belts; mine car is a late S3 also. I double checked the owners records and they don't show that he replaced the belts; so these may be originals as well. I don't know why I thought they were replaced.

I may check with Sue Miller and and some British outfits and see if the Irvings can be restored. Dan, if I find out they can be restored I will let you know.

I knew that most Elans came with Kangol belts. I have been watching ebay, but I will check with Sue about those as well.

Has anyone bought any of the new retro style belts? I may fit those until I arrive at a final solution.

Rick
rcombs
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:50 pm

S3 S/E's came with Teleflex reel belts, I have a set, I wouldn't use them as I don't think that they're safe. It wouldn't surprise me if your car originally came with them, but they failed early on and the Lotus agent supplied the Irvin belts to replace them.

I'm sure somebody on either side of the Pond will be able to restore them.
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: tvr78 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:12 pm

Drive without belts,it? better to fly out than to wait for someone to crash into you.try to avoid an accident .it?s not a very safe car especially with all the idiots nowadays in their suv?s that are 4times as heavy as an elan.
tvr78
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: rcombs » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:34 pm

Mazzini,

I have always read that the S/Es came with reel should belts, but I don't know how they would have mounted them. My frame has the brackets added to the top of the rear turrets. The shoulder belt anchored through the outboard corner using a single mounting stud. I would be interested to know how yours were mounted.

Rick
rcombs
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:52 pm

rcombs wrote:Mazzini,

I have always read that the S/Es came with reel should belts, but I don't know how they would have mounted them. My frame has the brackets added to the top of the rear turrets. The shoulder belt anchored through the outboard corner using a single mounting stud. I would be interested to know how yours were mounted.

Rick

The Teleflex belts had a large off white metal and plastic reel mechanism fitted by a single bolt to the top rear chassis mounting bolt, the bottom of the belt was connected to the mount in the side metal lattice work. The receiver was in the usual place, but it was was made almost entirely out of plastic... which seemed to break early on.
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:45 am

tvr78 wrote:Drive without belts,it? better to fly out than to wait for someone to crash into you.try to avoid an accident .it?s not a very safe car especially with all the idiots nowadays in their suv?s that are 4times as heavy as an elan.

I do hope that no-one gives any credence whatsoever to this idiotic post (apart from being illegal it?s just plain wrong).
Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Bombay Racing Green » Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:21 am

Hi Rick,

I had my grotty Kangol belts from my Europa refurbished by FDTS Ltd in the UK. They were very good to deal with and provided a full breakdown of costs and optional extras. http://www.fdts-seatbelts.co.uk/ .

I?ve no personal connection to them, just a satisfied customer.

Regards,
Pete
1970 S4 DHC
1971 S2 Europa
1968 +2
Bombay Racing Green
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:03 am

Here is the US, try SnakeOyl
https://www.ssnake-oyl.com/

They did my LoCort belts many years ago. Not cheap, but done perfectly.
Greg Z
45/0243K Sprint
45/7286 S3 SE DHC
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rcombs » Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:59 pm

I'll check out FDTS. I had Snakeoyl do the belts for my Mustang some years ago, they can't do these however.

Rick
rcombs
Second Gear
Second Gear

Next

Total Online: