+"2 Rear ride height

PostPost by: dick+2130/5 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:08 pm

Rebuild nearly complete. I have just assembled the rear struts on my1973 +2, added the wheels and rolled it out for the first time.
The springs,.dampers, struts and wishbones are all the originals.The problem is that the clearance between tyre and wheelarch now looks very large compared to how it was before the rebuild.

Originally the car looked level and now the back is noticeably higher than the front.

Can anyone give me a figure for the normal height to ground from the centre of the wheelarch please.

Wheels are original 13 inch with Dunlop SP Sports on them giving a height to the axle centre of 11 inches.
Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks,

Dick
dick+2130/5
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:58 am

Rule of thumb for the front suspension: Start by ensuring that the lower arm is parallel to the ground. This gives the correct front ride height, more or less.

Second - you say you have Dunlop SP Sports fitted, but what size are they? In particular, the profile should be 80 or the car will look like its wheels are too small.
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RichC » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:21 am

seem to remember someone on forum mentioning all bolts needing to be tightened off the stands with weight on the wheels .... presume you have the original chassis?
also presume your shell is nicely seated on the chassis with nothing jammed between 8)
RichC
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:23 am

RichC wrote:seem to remember someone on forum mentioning all bolts needing to be tightened off the stands with weight on the wheels .... presume you have the original chassis?
also presume your shell is nicely seated on the chassis with nothing jammed between 8)

Good spot, Rich..
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: