Replacement Bonnets

PostPost by: simonknee » Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:50 pm

Hi all,

Got a bunch of tales to tell since last time I was here, from stripped hub nuts to aluminum fuel tanks...

However for now has anybody recently purchased a replacement bonnet for an S3 of the flat (Weber) variety?

Mine is gradually giving up the ghost. It has cracked along the passenger side some time ago. The tension of the spring is causing this weakness to spread and the profile no longer matches the engine bay body lines. When I think back it was like this to some extent since I got the S3 in 2001.

I see Kelvedon have one for ?210 and S&J one for ?115. I'm sure the usual suspects would send me one too. However any input from experiences with replacement bonnet, especially regarding quality and fit would be much appreciated.

Simon
Simon
'67 S3 FHC 36/7002
'69 +2 50/1370 (stolen '00)
simonknee
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:17 pm

Simon,
The Kelvedon item is a lightweight bonnet for racing not recommended for a road car. The SJ Sportscars item doesn't have the later type metal strengthening hoop which I suspect your bonnet lacks.

Sue Miller lists the S3/S4 flat bonnet complete with strengthening hoop for ?204 inc VAT. It's what I have on my S4 and is very robust compared to some that I have seen. As for quality of fit, providing your car hasn't had a new front end it should be a straightforward replacement with a little fettling.
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: simonknee » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:48 pm

Thanks Alan,

Glad to know Sue has some since her bits are always "right" in my experience. Just got a perfect new gear gator and a non-locking filler cap from her in the last week. I'll give her a call tomorrow to see if she has any.

Meanwhiles here are a couple of pictures of what I am suffering from...

IMG_20140728_191838.jpg and

The little L-bracket is a semi-successful attempt to prevent the crack spreading further.

IMG_20140728_191852.jpg and

Notice the buldge at the edge but also that it is pulled too low into the nose. Both symptoms of the same issue.

If I take the bonnet and leave for a week it relaxes into a better shape. As soon as the spring is reattached it the strain on the weakened glass causes the deformation.

Simon
Simon
'67 S3 FHC 36/7002
'69 +2 50/1370 (stolen '00)
simonknee
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Galwaylotus » Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:12 pm

Check with Miles Wilkins (Fibreglass Services) as I believe he has rights to all the original Lotus moulds.
Mechanical Engineer, happily retired!

'67 S3 SE FHC

See Facebook page: W J Barry Photography

Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Galwaylotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: