Roof gutters

PostPost by: JimE » Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:25 pm

The chrome filler strip on the Elan front bumper is not disimilar. Could it be modified to fit the gutter? Probably not. Jim
JimE
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: p.faurie » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:47 pm

Hi Nic, I'm in Tenterden, you're more than welcome to come round just PM me if you what a chat and I give you my number
Phil
p.faurie
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: elan66 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:10 pm

Hi
i have a set of alloy and brass,i will compare them for you later
P
elan66
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: tedtaylor » Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:25 pm

NYK wrote:I?m sure this is a dumb question, but do all Plus 2 have chrome roof gutters? I?m restoring a ?72 130S that does not have any, should it?

Am i the only one that thinks NOT? I've seen many without the roof gutter moldings and no holes from mounting them evident. Was not this an extra optional accessory?
TED
"Driving a Lotus is a triumph of bravery over intelligence." Stirling Moss
"TaylorMadeClassicCars" on WWW and Facebook
tedtaylor
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Orsom Weels » Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:43 pm

I think they all had them from the factory ? I suspect a few have lost them over the years. My car is late 72 & had chromed brass rails when purchased, but the chrome was not so good, it came with a pair of as new alloy rails, which are now on the car, they fitted perfectly & all the existing screw holes lined up a treat, so fit is probably luck of the draw.

Regards, Tim
Orsom Weels
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: NYK » Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:49 pm

Orsom Weels wrote:I think they all had them from the factory ? I suspect a few have lost them over the years. My car is late 72 & had chromed brass rails when purchased, but the chrome was not so good, it came with a pair of as new alloy rails, which are now on the car, they fitted perfectly & all the existing screw holes lined up a treat, so fit is probably luck of the draw.

Regards, Tim

Hi Tim, I presume you don?t have the brass ones for sale do you?

Nic
NYK
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:15 pm

mbell wrote:Mines Oct 73 car and I think the rails are chromed brass.

Had a quick look at night and actually I think they are aluminium not bread on my car.

They do look to be a standard extrusion (flat base, curved top piece) as mentioned, maybe able to bend some carpet edge trim to the right shape?
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Orsom Weels » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:31 am

NYK wrote:Hi Tim, I presume you don?t have the brass ones for sale do you?

Nic

No, sorry, I don't :( .

Regards, Tim
Orsom Weels
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: NYK » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:03 pm

Thanks, it was worth a try

Nic
NYK
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Orsom Weels » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:51 pm

Hi Nic,

You have a PM

Regards, Tim
Orsom Weels
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: jono » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:54 pm

It's correct that the early cars, up to around 1970, had chromed brass rails and the later anodised aluminium.

When I restored my car over 4 years ago now I could not bring myself to drill the newly painted shell so I left the roof rails off - I've still not fitted them and happen to think that the car looks 'neater' without them.

They serve no real purpose and I've never had water come in as a result of them not being there

Jon
Attachments
image5.jpg and
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Cannonpaul67 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:45 pm

Hi Nic, I have a set of the early chromed brass from a Jan 69 car and a set of the aluminium from a Dec 73 late 130 model. I haven?t decided which set to keep for my ongoing rebuild which is the later car to Spyder Zetec spec with a Focus ST170 engine. Would you be interested in the remaining set?
Incidentally does anyone know which member has the the lovely blue car with silver roof, 15? minilites & MX5 seats. If it?s a zetec it?s very much the direction I?m going with mine and would appreciate contact details. I have a photo of the car which is on the ride height thread.
Cheers, Paul.
Cannonpaul67
New-tral

PostPost by: mcclelland » Mon May 18, 2020 12:56 pm

Hi all,
I know this is an old thread....however....I need a set of roof rails / gutters for my Plus 2. I have just finished the rebuild and it's finished apart from fitting the windscreen and the roof gutters.
Does any one have a decent straight pair they could be persuaded to part with...fingers crossed in anticipation.
I know this could go in the wanted section, but this thread seemed more appropriate.
Many thanks and regards to all, George.
George McC.
1968 S4 Elan dhc.(now sold)
1973 Plus2 S130/5
1994 Elan M100 S2
mcclelland
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Craig Elliott » Tue May 19, 2020 11:30 am

Hi - I may have, will have a look in the garage later...
Craig Elliott
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: mikealdren » Tue May 19, 2020 5:29 pm

Cannonpaul67 wrote:Hi Nic, I have a set of the early chromed brass from a Jan 69 car and a set of the aluminium from a Dec 73 late 130 model. I haven?t decided which set to keep for my ongoing rebuild which is the later car to Spyder Zetec spec with a Focus ST170 engine. Would you be interested in the remaining set?
Incidentally does anyone know which member has the the lovely blue car with silver roof, 15? minilites & MX5 seats. If it?s a zetec it?s very much the direction I?m going with mine and would appreciate contact details. I have a photo of the car which is on the ride height thread.
Cheers, Paul.

Hi you have a PM
mikealdren
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: