S3 Sidewinders

PostPost by: Mazzini » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:13 pm

Anybody got any better photos of the sidewinders fitted to '67 S3's? I wouldn't mind having some made up.
Attachments
180409 022.jpg and
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bast0n » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:59 pm

Mazzini
These pictures I have just taken for you may help. I can measure up if you wish. Clips available from Sue Miller and Matty.

PS - this is a '66 S3 SE

Spot side strip (2).JPG and

Spot side strip end.jpg and

Spot side strip clip.02.jpg and

Side strip clip.jpg and
David
bast0n
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:54 pm

Dear Bast0n,

Many thanks for your in depth reply, but I didn't mean the metal sill strip, but under it some '67 cars had a sill length sticker, it was dull silver and at one end it had a union flag and the word LOTUS. The car in the photo had them, but they're not easy to make out.

And I always enjoy seeing photos of your lovely white S3 :)

Thanks again

Mazzini
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Pastapesto » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:20 pm

Last time I spoke to Susan at Mick Miller Classic Lotus (01728 603307), we were discussing these amongst other things and she said she was in the process of having some made.

I think from memory she said they should be ready about now so give her a call, you might be in luck.

All the best

Adam
Pastapesto
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: bast0n » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:36 pm

Mazzini

but I didn't mean the metal sill strip

I will go away now then!! :wink:
David
bast0n
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: jimj » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:42 pm

Like this; my car with the only PO in the sixties.
Jim
Attachments
scan 002.jpg and
jimj
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:06 pm

....or even...
Attachments
SIDEWINDER.PNG and
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:17 pm

Graham Arnold's old demonstrator shows them pretty well...

Mark
Attachments
Graham Arnolds Elan S3.jpg and
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:26 pm

Pastapesto wrote:Last time I spoke to Susan at Mick Miller Classic Lotus (01728 603307), we were discussing these amongst other things and she said she was in the process of having some made.

I think from memory she said they should be ready about now so give her a call, you might be in luck.

All the best

Adam

Dear Adam,

I will!

Thank you,

Mazzini
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:27 pm

jimj wrote:Like this; my car with the only PO in the sixties.
Jim

Dear Jimj,

Love the picture - thanks.

How's the new addition to the family coming along?

Cheerio.

Mazzini
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:28 pm

Dear Brian and Mark,

Mazzini
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:11 am

bast0n wrote:Mazzini

but I didn't mean the metal sill strip

I will go away now then!! :wink:

Just a thought, but you could always use the sidewinder as a Plimsoll line :)
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jimj » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:35 am

Mazzini, I`ve spent some time on the "restoration case". Jet washed it on the trailer first, cleared out the detritus and given as good a look round as I can, though I haven`t a ramp. I can`t find any unforeseen horrors but it is as rough as it looks. I`m not going to keep it though I reckon the value, kept as it is, might double in the next 5 years. We`re away for a week from tomorrow, so I`m listing it on ebay starting Sunday 18th March, no reserve, ?1000 start. A gamble !
Jim
I`ve drafted some text:

It wasn`t actually found in a barn but it seems that if you sprinkle a bit of straw and some chicken`s do-doos and put it for auction with Bonhams it adds ?1000s to the price.
It`s actually been off the road since 1980 and been outside under a tarpaulin for the last 2 years...and it shows. It`s in very poor condition and all the metalwork is rusty. For example; the seat runners, the petrol tank, and the nearside front suspension turret are really badly corroded. There again, if you`re doing a nut and bolt restoration on a new chassis it doesn`t matter if, say, a wishbone is rusty or really rusty, you`re still going to replace it, and all these parts are easily available and cheaper than a VW. Other bad points include the number plate lights, the original steering wheel, the gear lever knob and the passenger side door glass is missing. Non-original items incude the number plate light and an electric fuel pump, all easily reversible to original secification. Some time ago an effort, a start (!), was made stripping the bonnet and drilling holes at the ends of the star cracks but other priorities overtook events....... Make no mistake, the car looks just as bad in real life as it does in the photos.
Now the good points: Here`s a quote from the bloke who keeps the Elan Sprint Register;
"Your car unit no 7020 is listed as fitted with engine no LP11010 and with a date of 31 Jan 1968. However, all other cars of close unit numbers were being made around mid to late 1967. Furthermore your car plus around a dozen on either side are fitted with engine nos starting 10 or 11, when sequentially the car should be getting a 7### number. It's odd that at around this time the date and engine number sequencing goes to pot a bit.

I can only assume that it was due to the move from Cheshunt to Hethel. It may well be that your car was one of the first Elans to come off the production line at Hethel. "

PUV 391F is still matching numbers, first registered in March 1968. It`s been in the same ownership since 1978 (34 flippin` years) and was bought then from a personal friend. The mileage is believed to be a genuine 70,290, 2 MOT certificates from `78 and`79 show 66,596 and 66,834. It was taken off the road in 1980 because of long term overseas employment.
The engine turns OK and the pic. of the valve gear is exactly as it was when I removed the cam. cover after all this time. I`ve since had a good squirt round there and down the bores with 3 in 1. All the unobtainable items are present, the original gauges, the window frames and electric window motors, the proper "D" section hood frame, the seats, and the very rare bolt on wheels. All these will need refurbishing but if you haven`t got them you can`t get them. I spent a few minutes cleaning the driver`s seat and it looks quite good, not perfect, and they`ll need the covers removing and the frames refurbishing. On the first photo the front wheels are not proper, just for rolling it around, but you can see the wheels in a later pic. The wheels are rusty and I spent 5 minutes with a wire brush and I reckon they are sound. You`d have to check but I think it would be well worthwhile having them professionally renovated. There`s a superb restored Elan for sale at ?34,000+ at the moment with after market alloys as he can`t get the proper wheels.
There`s another at ?39,000. Whether people get these prices I don`t know but Elan prices are at a point now where a really concours, original (and expensive) restoration is definitely financially viable, rather than a labour of love.
A complete car, ready for restoration like this one has become extremely rare. When or where would you find another? Possibly a left hand drive from the USA?
You`re welcome to come and look at the car. We live in Foolow, 30 minutes south of Sheffield. If you can`t make it you can be sure I`ve done my best to give as accurate a description as possible, though I`m no expert. I`d like a ?100 paypal deposit and the rest by cleared personal cheque before collection. You do hear of forged bankers drafts and I don`t like giving my bank details to strangers. Scammers have made the world a sadder place.
NO RESERVE. It`s worth what it`s worth. Good luck.
jimj
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:31 pm

Off on a tangent, but didn't the move to Norfolk take place in mid '66? The Cheshunt plates we used till late '66 or early '67 till they ran out. Anybody know for certain?

Good luck with the sale.
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:00 pm

They did move then, but my mid-67 S3 and late '67 Plus 2s all have Cheshunt plates.

Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: