PostPost by: 45bvtc » Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:36 pm

I actually preferred my own...
Attachments
2B_BODYSIDE1.JPG and
45bvtc
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:27 pm

Hopefully you'll not be offended by an opinion - but I think your car will look much nicer with that lower sill painted black.
Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Grizzly » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:23 am

Can anyone confirm the correct line for an Early Sprint

It's the solid section at the rear i'm most interested in, does it go parallel with the top of the rear bumper like this......
lotus_elan_sprint_red_1971_whit.jpg and

Or like this? parallel with the rest of the decal....... This one looks more like the Mick miller instructions would suggest.
s-l1600.jpg and

I've been putting off fitting ours so might be over thinking it but i'll have to do it at some point and it's a job i don't want to be doing twice :roll:

Just for reference, are the Early and late Sprint decals all level with the top of the front bumper and only the rear thats different? and does anyone have a rough measurement from the bottom edge of the door to the Decal (i understand it will be slightly different from car to car as the door is set up etc)
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:40 am

The early Sprints had the sidewinder decals fitted by hand and eye. I believe they were done in the service garage, but have yet to confirm this.

As such, they ended up with a high degree of inconsistency, especially at the rear. Later Sprints tended to be better. As an example, take a look at the photos in the John Bolster Sprint roadtest in the February 1973 Autosport magazine.

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:49 am

Chris,

I?ve always told buyers of my stripes that the top front edge of the stripe should be in line with the middle of the bumper bolt and it should then be parallel to the floor all the way back. If the rearmost stripe deviates up or down it just looks odd imho. Fitting as above should leave the rear of the stripe an inch or 3/4? above the bumper.

If you?ve got or can borrow a laser level set it up as above and photograph it.
Steve

elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Grizzly » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:52 am

Just been going through old pictures of the car before the original stripes came off and found this picture, even though is at a bit of a odd angle looks like they were fitted as you suggest from the factory.

(not the best pictures)
p1030671.jpg and

Conveniently placed wall in the way :roll: i should have taken way more pictures than i did.
p1030722.jpg and

It is a bit annoying i never took a decent picture of the rear stripes, they were all badly faded and with it being white are hard to see.
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: richardcox_lotus » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:40 pm

I posted these pictures on the classic elan & +2 Facebook page, hope they come out all right. Fitted by Miles Wilkins 5 years ago

Regards
Richard
Attachments
64687bbd-3205-4117-b6ed-ef45cc6c3a7e.jpeg and
f3f0843b-0062-4e21-91e5-03054d379575.jpeg and
b13d5e78-43bc-4007-aa54-d003838e2d2e.jpeg and
Richard
'72 Sprint
richardcox_lotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Grizzly » Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:55 am

Richard, your car looks more like the later style.
elan.jpg and
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Grizzly » Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:20 am

Well i spent ages mocking it up with 2" masking tape and ended up fitting it as high as i could get away with at the back..... i tried a few different variations but i put a chalk line from the top of the nut on the back of the front bumper bolt which lifted the line just under 1/4" (1" at the rear turned out to be parallel) thats my blue chalk line.

This picture was the last stage before i fitted the decal (bit confusing as i also used 2" tape as a marker for the Decal but you can see i moved up another 1/4" from the chalk line.... ended up 1/2" from the centre of the front bumper bolt line).
p1040804.jpg and

So it looks like this at the back.
p1040802.jpg and

May have been just in my head but the difference between the top of the front bumper and the top of the decal was quite obvious so it was a trade off, fit the stripe at a bit of an angle (which wasn't going to happen) or raise the lot as high as i could get away with at the back.

So this is it done....... btw they are straight but the car is parked a bit awkwardly.
p1040801.jpg and

Frankly i spent ages fitting them and when i stood back decided i am not a fan....... plus the colour difference to the bumpers is driving me nuts.... Ahh well.
Last edited by Grizzly on Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:08 am

Not sure about stripes on monotone cars myself but that?s another debate. I think your stripes position look good. Now just get that sill painted black and it?ll look better again.
Steve

elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Grizzly » Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:15 am

elanfan1 wrote:Not sure about stripes on monotone cars myself but that?s another debate. I think your stripes position look good. Now just get that sill painted black and it?ll look better again.

I agree..... i was already 50/50 about fitting them. Not sure how long they are going to survive to be honest.

Might paint the sills at some point but have to let the original owner see it finished before i start tweaking things.
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: