'72 Sprint passenger door stuck shut

PostPost by: Evante » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:00 pm

Hi All,

My new to me '72 Spring DHC passenger door is stuck shut. Unlocking it does not seem to help, either with from the outside with a key or from inside with the door handle.

Any help getting it open would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Jay Supnick
Jay S.
1972 Federal Sprint, Colorado Orange/White
2005 Elise, sold
1988 Evante 140TC, sold
Evante
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:10 pm

First place to start would be trying to get in behind the door card to check the rods and connectors to the lock itself. It's not unknown for them to break or come detached. Be prepared for some skinned knuckles due to the the awkward and restricted access. No swearing!
Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:50 pm

Yes, remove the door card and find someone with very small hands :mrgreen:
You can get new clips for the rods from sjsportscars.
Have fun, it's a fiddly job
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Grizzly » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:07 pm

Door card is surprisingly easy to remove with the door shut..... You may have to remove the seat (just two bolts) but it's not rocket science.

Before you do that though i'd check the catch isn't just stuck (sit inside and lean on the door while operating the door handles).... a Rod could have come off but from experience you should still be able to open it (if an inside rod comes off then the outside handle should still work and vise versa), you can check the inner rods fairly simply by removing the inner door handle, gently lift it and you should see the two rods.
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: tvacc » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:10 pm

The inside door card comes off quite easily as others have said. You can then manipulate the locking mechanism. Worse comes to worse, once you have card off you can just loosen and take the top nuts off the front "hinges" which are really just cups that fit into a recess in the upper and lower jam. Then using a 1/4 inch socket wrench and extension you can remove the "hinges" completely from the front. Door will fall out.
Tony Vaccaro
LOONY (Lotus Owners of New York)
http://www.lotusowners.com
Drive Fast Take Chances
ElanGTS, 93 Caterham, 05 Elise,
99 Elise190, 05 Elise, 2005 MiataSpeed Turbo
tvacc
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: MarkDa » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:21 pm

Time for a plug for Susan Miller here if you do need clips she's very sensible about postage costs for small items like these.
MarkDa
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: MarkDa » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:38 pm

Thinking a bit more about the problem.
nNeither the outer button nor the internal lever will release the door and neither the key nor the internal latch unlock the door.
We have two possibilities, either all the rods have become detached (which sounds like really bad luck!) or the mechanism is jammed somehow.
I agree that first step is get the card out which is possible as all fixings are accessible then try manually operating lock and catch.
Failing that releasing the hinges and undoing the lock staple will allow everything to come out on mass.
Let's hope the first step does the trick.
MarkDa
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Evante » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:58 pm

What is the "lock staple"?
Jay S.
2005 Elise, sold
1988 Evante 140TC, sold
Evante
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: tvacc » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:07 pm

On a lock, the staple is the part that actually inserts into the lock. How this applies to the Elan door he must mean the part that clamps down on the hasp that is on the door jam.

Honestly, if moving the rods does not work, just take out the hinges. You will have to maybe remove the seat to get in there. At our age, we are not as compressible/bendable as we used to be. You may want to remove the steering wheel to give you more room.

What I don't know is what will happen once you have the front of the door out. Will it lift off the rear hasp or locking mechanism.
Tony Vaccaro
LOONY (Lotus Owners of New York)
http://www.lotusowners.com
Drive Fast Take Chances
ElanGTS, 93 Caterham, 05 Elise,
99 Elise190, 05 Elise, 2005 MiataSpeed Turbo
tvacc
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: MarkDa » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:17 pm

If the latch cannot be released the door will remain attached to the car by the loop bolted to the rear pillar, which I described as the staple.
The nuts are easily undone aftet releasing the trim by removing the door seal and taking out a few screws.

grid006264.gif and
Door lock parts

Older car but shows lock and fixing
MarkDa
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Briggs1 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:25 pm

Before taking try door apart, try spraying something like WD40 in between the door and the body where the mechanisms connect

I have seen Ted Taylor work this magic to my surprise on a door that was similarly stuck.
Briggs1
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Evante » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:27 pm

Thank you all for your help!

You are all great resources.

Best,

Jay
Jay S.
2005 Elise, sold
1988 Evante 140TC, sold
Evante
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:03 pm

MarkDa wrote:If the latch cannot be released the door will remain attached to the car by the loop bolted to the rear pillar, which I described as the staple.
The nuts are easily undone aftet releasing the trim by removing the door seal and taking out a few screws.

Sorry Mark I don't think that's right .... it's a tapped plate not loose nuts so not removable from the back.

sj036b0069.jpg and
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: MarkDa » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:32 pm

Yes you're quite right. The fixing is a screw from front - sorry.
I would expect the latch to pull free when actuated.
They can be stiff so the suggestion of WD40 spray and a strong tug or smart blow on inside ought to do it.
If it doesn't then its door off!
After releasing the hinges, you should be able to turn the set-screws from the back. Once freed they ought to turn fairly easily and be finally released with needle point pliers in the door jamb.
MarkDa
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:58 pm

You may be able to release the screws securing the staple but it is the wrong side of the door jamb so the door still wouldn't be removable if the latch is jammed onto it.
I'm sure once the door card is removed the problem will be obvious and these drastic measures won't be required - hopefully :wink:
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: