Top seat belt attachment to the chassis.

PostPost by: Keith Scarfe » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:18 pm

The top seat belt attachment is a sort of square metal bar that passes through the body and I think then screws into the top part of the chassis where the suspension leg (damper/spring) mounts. Does anyone have a drawing or picture of what this arrangement looks like? Is it a square rod turned down and threaded? Does it just screw in till it stops or is there a lock nut? What does it screw into, a boss or welded on nut? or is there a nut on the back?
The reason I want to understand it is because mine are installed with the square faces at random angles and I would like to rotate them to vertical. I don't know if this will be possible (probably seized in the chassis) but would like to get some advanced ideas before delving in there. How do you get in there? is it up under the wheel arch (probably meaning dropping the strut) or from inside the car some how? Any pointers greatly received.
Thanks.
Keith.
Keith Scarfe
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:55 pm

Hi Keith,

The mount is a square rod turned down and threaded and it screws into a threaded tube in a plate which mounts under the lotocone shock mount, there is no lock nut. There is a tubular spacer(s) over the threaded part where it passes through a grommet in the body. The only way you can adjust the orientation of the square part is to add a washer or cut down the spacer, problem is that if you unscrew the mount the spacers are likely to fall out. You can see them under the wheel arch but it may be tricky to get them back in.
Attachments
Seat belt mount 001.jpg and
Looking up under wheel arch
Seat belt mount.JPG and
Seat belt top mount 001.jpg and
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Keith Scarfe » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:30 am

Superb info thanks very much Roger. Not what I wanted to hear, but great info.
Cheers.
Keith.
Keith Scarfe
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:34 am

Is this all the same on both the 2-seater and the Plus 2 ?
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:21 pm

I don't think so. The +2 has plates in the rear wheel arches and the sill member that the seat belts fasten to. Haven't looked exactly how the fasten to these but presume they just bolt to them.
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:57 pm

My S3 is not the same as you have shown.

It has Inertia Reel belts and they are bolted to a strong L shaped bracket which is in turn bolted through the rear trim into (I think) the rear turrets, but or might be into a long flattish bar that joins the top sides of the rear turrets.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: