trimming roof lining

PostPost by: Hongokongo » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:52 pm

I have surplus roof lining on the outside of the rear window. I am reluctant to attack it with a sharp knife, for fear of damaging the body. Any ideas how to protect the body underneath? What could I put under it to protect it?
Thanks.
Hongokongo
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: vernon.taylor » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:02 am

Salut

Perhaps flexible plastic cutting board from a stationers or cook shop ?

@+

Vernon
vernon.taylor
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Higs » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:23 am

Having just put my headlining in, I think you have little option but to use a sharp knife and accept that the paint will get some damage. As you prepare to cut, lift the vinyl a little by pulling the excess material - this will minimise any damage.

If you keep the overlap to about 10mm then this will all be covered by the window seals or the the door seals.

By putting something between the body and the headlining you will be disturbing the glue. If you do it before you glue, then you will be making the gluing / tensioning almost impossible.

Remember - if you are trying for an authentic rebuild then this is how they would have done it in the factory!

As ever, the sharper the blade the better - you will find that you can moderate the pressure to cut the vinyl and hardly touch the paint. The hardest part is the areas where the material is sewn together where you have to trim more that one layer.

Richard
Higs
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: