Type 26 front window channel

PostPost by: Tahoe » Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:15 pm

I noticed that the front window channel on my S2 did not go up high enough for a proper seal on both the cantrails and my hardtop. If it isn't high enough then the window can't go high enough because of the stop at the top of the channel. I removed the door panel, removed the windows, and tried to adjust the channel to go higher but it was at it's limit. It's a simple fix to elongate the slots more to fix the problem, but they actually need to be elongated by another 1/2 inch (13 mm) which is a lot. I looked them over, and they have never been modified so it's the way they left factory. It does seal (somewhat) when using the soft top, but when fitting the hardtop there is a gap between the top of the window and the hard top seal. I will do some measurements but it appears the window needs to go up slightly higher when fitting the hardtop vs the soft top. Has anyone else noticed this? I rarely use the soft top so I never really noticed the issue before, but since starting to restore the hardtop I noticed the problem while checking for proper fit.
Tahoe
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Bill » Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:16 pm

Russ

I have had the same problem since I got my S1 (50 years ago) with both the soft and particularly with the hard top. I decided to learn to live with it. It seemed that I could never get enough preasure on the glass to the rubber cant rail or hard top seal at the top area of the window, at speed particularly, to prevent rain water from coming in

I figure that maybe Colin figured a bit of interior moisture injection would be just another advantagous Elan sales marketing feature designed to keep the driver awake.

I avoid driving in the rain BUT I do keep a small towel in the cab for just in case.

Just another classic feature of the type 26 - come to think of it I bet that's why they went to electric windows from the S3 on.

Bill
Bill Rathlef
Vancouver Island, Canada
"Keep your stick on the ice, boys."
Bill
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: