Unknown small button on the dash

PostPost by: Frank Howard » Sat Oct 20, 2007 5:48 pm

I have one on my car too. It does seem kind of silly. I mean, there's a momentary push button to make sure the brake failure light is operational, and the brake failure light is there to warn you when the master cylinder runs low. Perhaps I should add another switch to make sure the momentary push button is operational! :wink:

There must be an explaination as to why Lotus did this. I suspect it was a way to skirt U.S. safety regulation somehow. Anybody know the real reason for the test button for the brake failure light?
Frank Howard
'71 S4 SE
Minnesota
Frank Howard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: oldokie » Sun Oct 21, 2007 3:44 am

The " National Highway Transportation Safety Act ('68)" dictated a test for the warning light among other things like rocker switches, headlight and bumper heights, etc, etc. It took Lotus almost a year just to read it! For this reason 1968 models are 'thin on the ground' in the US or so I'm told!
Gene
oldokie
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Si_130/5 » Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:29 pm

I tuned out of the ejector seat jokes when I saw Uboat's interior pics and I've been goggling at them ever since - not only is the interior really well preserved and original (extra gauge and red switch aside) but he's still got the original carpets and they're perfect! :shock:

Can you post more pics of your car? I'm sure we'd love to see them.

Thanks,
Si
Si_130/5
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: greg.harvey » Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:13 pm

Brake Failure Light??!
Pfft...
On an original UK model you find out the hard way if the brakes aren't working... ;-)
Greg
+2S 130/5 Elan <== FOR SALE! PM me if you're interested...
Epping, Essex, UK

Classic Motoring Blog
http://classicmotoring.blogspot.com/
greg.harvey
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Uboat » Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:20 pm

I guess they are all original carpets...
The speakers in the door are not, but I think they are ok.
I have located a period Philips radio that will fit...
Attachments
instrument.min.JPG and
Uboat
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:39 pm

sounds like the Elcida terrorist school bus --------'watch carefully because Im only going to push this button once '--------ed
dont close your eyes --you will miss the crash

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Si_130/5 » Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:55 pm

Hello Uboat,

I see your car is Bitter Green. Is this the one on the net which was beautifully restored after a horrid accident?
Si_130/5
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Uboat » Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:44 pm

In fact it is not bitter green. In another thread, I was told that it is laurel green. It is not the restored bitter green car...
Uboat
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Si_130/5 » Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:45 pm

I know laurel green, it's a metallic finish and there aren't many left in that colour. Picture herewith.

Si
Attachments
laurel.jpg and
Si_130/5
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: theelanman » Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:15 am

Jason1 wrote:I dont think the early +2 had a heated rear window so must have been added later on. I was not happy with the un-insulated live wires touching the fuel tank so disconnected it.

whilst this is not on topic...the early +2 did have a heated rear screen.....it had vertical wires rather than the later horizontal ones...... :lol:
theelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: kcrossle » Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:33 pm

Wish this thread happened some months ago - it took me ages to find the brake-light test explanation for that stray push-button.

The other bits of this thread evoke the work my brother did on my new dash - see http://keith.crossley.name/Lotusweb/Parts.html
kcrossle
Second Gear
Second Gear

Previous

Total Online: