Wind deflector for Elan?

PostPost by: dougweall » Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:57 pm

alexblack13 wrote:I think I will continue the hunt/ quest to see what is the best deflector to fit. This would need to be removable of course. and hopefully stow able either behind the seats or in the boot.

Alex...

Alex,

A couple of guys at NYLOC have tried to conquer this problem, I have talked to them about it as I was thinking of doing the same "mod"
One answer was to use an MGF (I think it was) deflector, my mate had to make up some brackets etc to get it to fit in. He reckons he has a good fix.
The other answer although you have not got a roll bar ( which I have ) was to use some 2.5 mm micromesh from http://www.norfinenets.co.uk/netting/netting.html this company, using velcro strips to fasten it to the roll bar. Again it is said to work quite well.
I am sure with your "Elan skills" you could make a collapsible frame to house some micromesh.

Regards,

Doug.

P.S. Will keep an eye open for your Elan at CLM 2010, alas I will not be in my Elan this year. I'll whisper it, Elise instead
I will be in the Lotus parking area though.
dougweall
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: ceejay » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:17 am

Hey fellas
You don't need much to make a very effective wind blocker for your elan,
see link to previous posting some months back.
elan-f14/wind-blocker-for-elan-t15832.html
Col
ceejay
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:30 am

Thanks everyone/ Doug.

I can't get the link to open in that post and the picture is quite small. Saving and zooming just destroys the detail but It does look to be a neat solution. Anyone with a bigger more detailed photo?

I have saved the details regarding the netting and another big thanks for that head up...That is exactly the right material. A nice frame from light alloy now and a good method of fixing and job done.

My mate with the Daimler dart is looking to make the same, so we can compare & co-operate with design and welding etc, & we are both thinking of doing a welding course to improve our mig/tig skills.

Hey Ho ....
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ceejay » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:05 am

Pictures of the wind blocker for elan...note that this design suits an S2... later models may differ.
I built the blocker after being blown to bits from several hours of blasting around the alpine roads in th elan,
works well to... gets rid of about 70 - 80% of the wind buffeting effect....yeah. I'm getting soft, but
hey, we are allowed a bit of comfort aren't we?
Col.
Feel free to copy... another nice idea from...
www.elantrikbits.com
Attachments
wind-blocker-0011s.jpg and
wind-blocker-0005s.jpg and
wind-blocker-0008s.jpg and
wind-blocker-0006s.jpg and
ceejay
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:32 am

Col' wrote.........

I built the blocker after being blown to bits from several hours of blasting around the alpine roads in th elan,
works well

And that is exactly why I want to make and fit one. Why not if it makes our car more usable and comfortable/quiet.

Great pics and info.. many thanks Col.

Alex.... 8)
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ceejay » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:43 am

Happy to be of help Alex.
Col.
ceejay
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:59 am

Just a thought whilst I am twiddling my thumbs.... Do you (anyone / All) think it might be possible to utilize the tension hoop in the existing hood frame? If this was able to be 'braced' in the up position with all the hood stowed and cover on, all that would be required would be the attachment of the cloth netting. It might even be possible to make the attachment of same permanent. Looking thru' it with the hood up is not to big an issue. I know this 'caus my wife's car rarely has the screen removed and stowed.

Just a thought... Probably talking tosh again which I will find out when I go and look at the car. Which is nice n comfy below its cover awaiting salt free roads. :wink:

Roll on summer...

Alex.. 8)
Last edited by alexblack13 on Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: miked » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:07 pm

Alex,
I have not been on here for a bit and just saw the thread. I made one from some plastic sheet from B & Q as a trial. I fitted it onto a Spyder roll bar with Velcro straps. It worked well in general and stopped all that air around your neck that makes you neck stiff the next day.
However, the wind found new places to get into us. This was around the arse region. The difference was that the pressure had increased and I got a savage velocity around my lower back and bum region. Then had a rug around my behind. In the end I gave up and took it out. I settled for keeping my window down, a bit, and blasting the wife. The window down tends to help. Call me an old tart, but I wore a hat (she did to) and had my fleece collar up. Even when the sun was cracking the flags.
To be honest, I think some people are more susceptible to drafts. Even the tough wife got a bad neck by going bare necked in 27 degrees C. She had laughed at me. I am talking about proper days out, runs of over 200 miles plus. Not around the block and back.
My DHC Elan has gone now and it did spoil the enjoyment. I don?t know whether the actual roll bar helped mess up the air flow and make it worse. I never drove it without a roll bar.

Mike :lol: Another Northern softie ex pit man too, the shame!
Mike

Elan S4 Zetec
Suzuki Hustler T250
Suzuki TC120R trailcat
Yamaha YR5
Suzuki Vstrom 650XT
Suzuki TS185K
miked
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bast0n » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:59 pm

Alex

I made a wind deflector for my Elan that fitted on to the hood hoops. It worked but was clumsy. I can post a photo if you would like. I now have a system that is made from bits of alloy tube from B&Q! and a screen that velcros on to it with poppers around the rear. Whole thing fits under the folded hood when not in use. If you would like photos just ask and I will take the camera out to the barn..........................

PS I may be a softy but when you do over 800 mles a day with the roof off a bit of extra comfort does not go amiss - and I can hear the satnav lady.........

David

Don't grow up too quickly - if at all, for that matter.
David
bast0n
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Galwaylotus » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:50 pm

alexblack13 wrote:Unlike, I suspect quite a few of you.... I still have ALL my hair....Hehh! Na na nana na.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Alex, have you never heard the phrase, "Grass doesn't grow on a busy street"?! :wink:
Mechanical Engineer, happily retired!

'67 S3 SE FHC

See Facebook page: W J Barry Photography

Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Galwaylotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alan71 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:49 pm

Does that mean you have a lot of people going over your head ?

Alan. (living in a glass house but still throwing stones)
alan71
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Galwaylotus » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:13 pm

alan71 wrote:Does that mean you have a lot of people going over your head ?

Alan. (living in a glass house but still throwing stones)

I always did like to keep a low profile!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mechanical Engineer, happily retired!

'67 S3 SE FHC

See Facebook page: W J Barry Photography

Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Galwaylotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:51 am

Thought I would bump this topic up as I have just completed a prototype wind deflector for use with a Spyder roll bar, first results are very encouraging as there is very little buffeting or wind in the back of your neck up to 60mph. The fixing bolts are elongated as I'm experimenting with different angles at the moment. Once I've decided whats best I will use some black plastic nut covers to tidy up the fixing point.

It's made from 6mm clear polycarbonate "Lexan" and is edged with Woolies rubber window trim for 6mm glass. Fixing to the roll bar is via the 9/16 threaded inserts at the back of the headrests. It stays in place with the hood up and doesn't interfere with it's operation, just means you can't use the parcel shelf while it's in place. It's very sturdy and rigid with no rattles or squeaks and apart from the fixing bolts as explained above looks very neat in the flesh and almost original equipment.

Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:38 pm

Alan

Does that not create a buffering effect on the motorway? The dynamics of wind direction within the cockpit at motorway speeds must be all over the place, which is why most OEM wind deflectors are fine mesh, thus allowing somewhere for the wind pressure to be dissipated?

Any way, it looks a neat solution. The Super Sprint Targa!

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:26 pm

Hi Tim,
I borrowed the idea from those that are available for Porsche's, . On the S4 there's actually plenty of free space behind the door frames down to deck level before you get to the deflector, so this allows equalisation. I still need to test it above 60mph, but any convertible whether it's fitted with a wind deflector or not is going to be pretty noisy and draughty at motorway speeds.

Porsche type

porsche987_edged.jpg
porsche987_edged.jpg (79.19 KiB) Viewed 1130 times

Regards

Alan
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: