Windscreen rubber and Capris

PostPost by: vernon.taylor » Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:50 pm

Salut

I trawled the forum but couldn't find a definitive answer.

French guy I know is having trouble finding the windscreen rubber for his '69 +2 (CN).

He received some from Paul Matty, but the it's not large enough - there is a gap.

Sue Millar can't help either. This is the shape:

REF_789_1280312825_110x100.jpg
REF_789_1280312825_110x100.jpg (7.77 KiB) Viewed 2207 times

... but the width is 40mm, not 27mm.

Is the section from the Capri? Burton have Mk.1 and Mk.2/3 rubbers and chrome trim listed.

Merci

Vernon
vernon.taylor
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: jono » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:09 pm

Vernon,

I've been trying for 4 years now and you can't get them for love or money. :cry:

Jon
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: worzel » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:49 am

Hi

If I'm not mistaken the front screen rubbers are from the Reliant Scimitar Gte models (Se5 and 5a only). Try Graham Walker of Sealand Ind Estate, Chester. Sorry I don't have the number.

John
worzel
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: jono » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:04 am

The Scimitar rubber will work but it's very different to the Capri rubber and will not accept the broad stainless trim.

I obtained a Scimitar rubber from Walkers but can find no way in which to incorporate the original trim (shame beacuse they look lovely). I may end up cutting the flange off the rear of the trim and bonding it onto the screen rubber but I am loathed to butcher a trim part which is quite valuable.

The other option is to use the Scimitar rubber and fit the standard chrome plastic insert/spreader but that way you lose the nice trim of the original screen.
Jon
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Chancer » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:05 am

These people might be worth a try: http://www.coh-baines.co.uk/

I have not used them for close to 2 decades but they were excellent then for obscure and out of date mouldings, I had no idea if they were still running nor even in which loft/grenier in which country my old catalogue was but thanks to Google I am pleased to see that they still appear to be going strong and have moved with the times.

If their catalogue is anything like it used to be then the site is worth bookmarking.

Good luck!

I am bringing my Elan out of storage to do a bilan of what needs purchasing, I havnt clapped eyes on her in several years and we are long overdue a tender reconciliation, from memory the screen rubbers were degraded and missing the chrome filler strips.
Chancer
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: vernon.taylor » Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:36 pm

Salut Jon

Do you have a contact number/reference for Walkers and/or a small offcut you could send me, s'il vous pla?t?

Merci

Vernon
vernon.taylor
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: jono » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:49 am

Vernon,

Details below

http://www.grahamwalkerparts.co.uk/

I have not fitted the screen yet so don't know if I will have any left over but I have attached a pic.

Good luck!

Cheers

Jon
Attachments
Screen rubber.JPG and
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: neil » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:26 am

Hello there,
I am returning here after a long siesta, and am contributing because I have just been through this process. I assume the screen in question is the intermediate version between the early cars and the bonded glass late cars and is using the wide chrome trim. If it is, Sue should have told you to contact the Ford Consul Capri Club. They have access to reproduction fully moulded rubbers. I have just received one for my 71+2. It's fully moulded and looks great. I will be fitting it in a month or two. The process that I had to take was after Sue told me to contact the club I Googled the club and me being in Australia and noticing an Australian contact emailed him and ended up sourcing it through him.
P.S. Thats 'Rare Spares' written on the packaging, an auto parts company based in Melbourne Australia.
image001.jpg
image001.jpg (45.95 KiB) Viewed 958 times
neil
New-tral

Total Online: