Windscreen/Tension Rod Installation

PostPost by: William2 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:40 pm

One of my next jobs is to install the windscreen and associated parts on my S4 restoration. I have in mind the following order of tasks, does this sound correct as I never done this before?? The crash pad is already in place. Also, I would be grateful for any advice or tips with this work.

1. Fit windscreen rubber
2. Fit windscreen
3. Fit chrome finishing strip to screen rubber
4. Rivet aluminium hood retaining strip to top of windscreen structure
5. Fit windscreen tension rod
6. Fit side heater eyeball/screen plastic trims either side
7. Glue black fabric trim to top of windscreen surround to hide fibreglass frame surround
8. Fit rubber one piece door aperture/windscreen seal

Job done or not!!??
William2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Elanman99 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:03 pm

William

I do not know the correct sequence but can offer the following couple of observations from when I stripped my car for a respray. Whilst it was umpteen years ago, the details relate to how it was assembled at the factory.

The vinyl upholstery above the windscreen (with foam behind it) was sandwiched under the windscreen rubber and I presume it was glued there to make assembly easier. The diecast 'shoe' thing that holds the upper end of the tie rod was underneath the vinyl too.

I would think that the anodised aluminium plate was riveted to the fibreglass before the screen went in otherwise the top rail would be too flimsy to withstand the thrutching of putting the glass in.

Ian
68 Elan S4 DHC. Built in a weekend from a kit (just like the advert said)
Elanman99
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: lotusfan » Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:44 pm

William

I would suggest revising your order to :

5, 4, 6, 7, 1, 2, 3, 8 job done.
Mike
72 Sprint DHC
lotusfan
Third Gear
Third Gear