Wing mirrors

PostPost by: Gray » Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:05 am

The california mirrors look best in my opinion and have a longer 'arm' than most. Possibly fitted as standard on Europa Specials?
https://www.europaspares.com/exterior-p ... rrors.html
Gray
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:37 pm

The Veg wrote:Thanks Stu, I recall you being about the same height so that's quite useful. Will have to order me a set.

Bit of an update

Ben, I received my matching passenger side convex mirror today. Very quick shipping from Motoring Classics (at the above link using the buy it now button from the Tex site).

I think I can get a reasonable rearward view by positioning the new mirror about 1/2? aft of the present position of the driver?s side mirror. As the mounting bolts are not centred on the mounting plinth I should be able to move my driver?s side mirror to match without exposing the existing holes.

The takeaway recommendation is to tape your passenger side mirror in place first. Use this to set the mounting positions of both mirrors. I think there is a heck of a lot more flexibility in the driver?s side mounting position. Note both my mirrors are viewed through the front quarter windows, so the exact mounting position matters a lot to make sure you can see the entire mirror.

I had never really noticed before, but my mirror positions may not work great for a shorter driver that is pulling the seat forward. I did not hear complaints from my travel buddy when we drove home from the Las Vegas LOG, but that was only considering the driver?s side mirror. Pretty sure my new passenger side mirror position is going to be a compromise that favours taller drivers.

HTH

Stu
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: el torro » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:00 pm

With the help of an assistant managed to align both mirrors,two man job obviously,next hand brake ???
el torro
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: baileyman » Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:20 pm

Perhaps hang a bob at your eye position, then from outside the car looking from where you want to see in the mirrors, look forward and position the mirror so as to see the bob. Tape in place and hop in to see if it works.

John
baileyman
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: theelanman » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:03 am

I went with some Porsche 356 racing mirrors

https://www.design911.co.uk/mobile/#part;id=128797
theelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: peweNL » Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:45 pm

Can you post a photo(s) how they look on your car?

Thanks in advance, paul.
Elan S3 FHC 36/6622
Lotus, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship
peweNL
New-tral

Previous

Total Online: